What are your thoughts about this trumpet contest.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Feb 10, 2008.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Ok, I'm sorry that most of you misunderstood what I was trying to get at. After re-reading my post, I can defenately see how you guys thought I was saying all negative about this trumpet contest, as after re-reading, that was pretty much how it read. It even looked after reading it that any reader would be much liklier to get what you guys got out of it than what I was trying to say. However, this wasn't what I was trying to say. If you're willing to listen, I'll explain how I got off.

First off all, when I said I was against it, what I was really trying to say was that it wouldn't be a good idea for ME to actively invest large amounts of time in it, however, more power to any of those who do. As far as when I said it wasn't right giving it away in a stupid contest, I had intended to say that I personally wouldn't feel right about winning something like that in a simple contest (stupid came out) as I already have a very good trumpet (Xeno) and there are others that need it more than me, but more power to whoever does end up with it, (I forgot to mention that part).

As for the angry faces, I've only been here for 3 weeks, I haven't had enough time to know that all of you are very nice people, not realizing that you guys were just in it for the fun and would be happy for whoever wins. I really haven't had enough time to get to know you. Before I was here, occaisionally I had been on other forums where everyone there is jerk, and I guess I had judged you guys a bit too early based on prior forum experiences. I'm really sorry about that. As far as the cheating, it had been intended as a huge joke as it was just flat out rediculous lmao, I guess you guys seemed to have taken it seriously not realizing it was a joke. About me thinking about cheating was also a joke, I guess I had forgotten that when others can't hear your tone-of-voice, they can definitely take it the wrong way, me going to those measures to magically win it, I thought it was hilarious to imagine at the time I was typing it.

My true thoughts on the contest are all positive, I think it is great that they are putting this on and that someone will win one of them. I salute everyone's efforts for their involvement in this contest. The only thing that worried me was that someone would spend hours on end trying to beat this contest and be truly let down when they lose which would create angry faces, but after getting to know you guys better, I'm relived to know that this won't be happening. I really apologize that through my ignorance my post had said the exact opposite of what I meant, I had no intentions of shooting down this contest. It's kind of ironic how sometimes things can come out entirely differently than you intended. I guess I'll have to adapt to explicit writing styles. The main purpose though was so that I could just get your guy's thoughts about this contest. Yes, this topic isn't necessary and had turned out to be a complete catastrophe. Sorry, all. Thanks NYTC for putting this on, I hope you will do so as well in future events. That 450 views is going to hurt.

If you guys wish me to leave then say so, I'd rather not dwell on here with a bad reputation. I've already made more than one unnecessary thread. If you guys want some hard core humer, go here:http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/post-humorous-trumpet-experiences-here-37895.html

2. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    lol, that's a good one. The teachers at my HS would never go for such a thing.

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    trumpet_man-

Don't worry about it. Communicating only through text and smilies is not the easiest thing in the world. Things are misunderstood. Just take a deep breath and everybody can get back to making TrumpetMaster the best online trumpet community on the web.

-Jimi

4. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    My biggest fear is that people will post just for the sake of posting. Someone will start a thread and up until now, people only responded if they had some advice or opinion.
    I think people will post unrelated info and many posts will go off on a tangent and not answer the request of the initial thread.
    I think there will be more likelihood of people giving misinformation just to register a post.
    I think it is great that there is a trumpet being given away. I just think the extra traffic will cause an information log jam. As people post more often, for the sake of posting, I think there may be a few more personality clashes.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Isn't this also what real families are about? Positioning for power, leverage and at the same time support.

AS an open internet forum, we have to take it as it comes. We also need to remember that clicks and ads pay for the experience and most importantly, most posts more than 2 or 3 months old are forgotton as the LEAST used feature at TrumpetMaster is the search feature!

If we pick up one or two active community members in the process, it is frosting on the cake. I am already very happy for whoever wins!

trumpet_man has also brought his posts into perspective and I welcome him into the fold! Obviously our comments however tough were presented in a way that didn't chase him off, but caused him to review the power of words. The original post has been modified. We are obviously worth his time!

6. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Rowuk,
    I understand all of these things. I just think it would have been better if regular visitors were put into a draw or something. I'm sure this site would have the technology to have a system where, for instance, people who visit every week for a month could go into a draw, or something like that rather than having to post as often as possible to win. I am all for someone getting a good horn. I have one, so I am very happy for someone else to win it.
    I realise that this is an open forum and there is a fiscal/ advertising element. I approach it as a situation where I can give advice to others as well as receive advice that I am grateful for. I think the way the contest is structured, it may encourage people to participate to 'get something out of it' rather than contribute.
    The Post did say 'What are your thoughts?'
    These are my thoughts. Like it or lump it, this is my opinion.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  7. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    ozboy: the more you talk about this contest, albeit in good or bad terms, it helps NYTC and Felix ;-)

8. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    I don't think I'll even do much participating until it gets down to an hour, and even then I'll just occaisionally make post, not planning to win.

9. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    This reinforces my point. Good on you trumpet-man. Thanks for your honesty. I hope you do win.I think you are probably one in 100's or 1000's who are thinking the same. To be honest, I haven't even looked when the comp finishes.