What are your thoughts on Light-Heavy trumpets?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I agree with that statement! And I've heard Gary live! Playing and conversing!

2. WannaScream

WannaScream Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2013
    tough love, but true. New guitar gear can mean a more playable instrument, better or just different tone. New strings will go a long way, too, at a fraction of the price. But trumpet, not so much. You can't buy range, or endurance, or a very different tone- though a mouthpiece might go a long way. Personally, if I was rich enough to buy a Monette, I'd be sad when the new toy buzz wore off if I still didn't play any better.

3. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
  4. jengstrom

jengstrom Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2009
    Rochester, NY
    Personally, if I was rich enough to buy a Monette, I'd buy a half dozen really cool non-Monettes of different shapes and sizes. Then, I'd be sad when the new toy buzz wore off and I still didn't play any better. But I'd have a half dozen really cool horns.

-John

5. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010

"What I'm trying to explain is: same mouthpiece, same horn, same chops, same breathing, same everything. The sound is inside your head."

How true. Too many folks focus on equipment rather than the guy behind the horn. Give me any working trumpet, and I believe I can play it any way I want - from orchestral to breathy jazz, to lead screaming.

6. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    Well said. Took the words right out of my mouth.

7. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    That one is too heavy! It has very few overtones and is a struggle to play! The only Inderbinen I haven't liked!

8. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Have you tried a too light trumpet?:think: Would it vibrate out of your hands, or crumple at the touch?

9. musicman1951

musicman1951 New Friend

Dec 9, 2014
    Albany, NY
    My guess is that - all things being equal (which they rarely are) the heavy horn would sound a little darker.

I tried Curry heavy valve caps on a Burbank Benge - for what this might be worth. The Benge was a fairly light, free blowing horn. With all three heavy valve caps it sounded dead, but the slots were more secure. I couldn't stand the sound but ended up using one heavy cap on the third valve of the matching C trumpet. I decided the small lack of vibrancy (for lack of a better word) was worth the improvement in slotting.

I would be more concerned about how it affected the blow.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Check out a Harrelson SWE Summit. One of the heaviest horns I have ever lifted. It is the most easiest blowing horn I have ever played.