What are your thoughts on the benefits, if any, of freediving concerning trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 8, 2014.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The short story is I put on a little weight and decided to find some exercise that would be both fun and provide a workout.
    Body boarding seemed like fun and bring I live 2 minutes from the beach ... so I thought it would be prudent to learn how to hold my breath longer ( just in case) ... the breath holding guru's seem to all be free divers... so I watched some vids.. I will attach one that seem pretty informative ...
    How do you think this tranlates to art of playing the trumpet
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWRiVNE0spw

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dave, when I was a kid, during the summers between 2nd and 3rd, and 3rd and 4th grade, a couple of things happened. One, my friends and I pretty much lived at the town's municipal pool on any day when it was even halfway decent to go swimming, and two, we'd go over to my friend's house and watch the Tarzan reruns, which brings me to the subject of holding my breath.

If you remember, about once every other episode there'd be some adventure that Tarzan had to take care of underwater - whether it was sneaking in somewhere or something else, but he could hold his breath for a long, long time. Taking this back to the pool, we'd play around with that Tarzan thing and have contests to see who could hold the breath the longest or go the furthest underwater. This was something I continued all the way into my adulthood before life and circumstances dictated that I couldn't spend so much time at the pool. I'd start the day by diving in one end and swimming to the other side, all underwater, all in one breath.

Looking back, I have always felt that it had a positive effect on my trumpet playing, and in my endeavors as a musician - both as a singer and a trumpet player - I always had the ability to play and sing long phrases, and I believe that it also helped me with range and power in my formative years.

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    No lesser authority than Raphael Mendez recommended swimming under water as an exercise for trumpet players.

coolerdave likes this.
  4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's cool - I was doing something right and didn't even know it! :D

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Unusual position for you?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Well, yes, better usage of the lungs is good for the trumpetplayer, but that is not the same as holding our breath.

Holding our breath underwater (not apnoe diving), is a very high tension activity. I do not like to associate tension with the trumpet. We can measure our pulse and see. I think that swimming to the other side of the pool underwater is better, when we in regular intervals release air and are essentially empty when we surface. Timing that activity can probably even give better results.

The advantages are in deeper breathing, controlled release of the air over time and increased physical activity.

What happens after 30 minutes in the water when our lips are wrinkled like our fingers?
    How badly does sea water screw our lips up?
    What does our pulse do when we see someone pee in the pool?

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I don't think I am actually planning on doing the floating thing holding my breath but the freedivers seem to have the most research on it. I was wondering about the practicing of holding my breath and the relaxing part for the body boarding. Just in case I got held under by a wave. For my lips I was going to use sunblocking chapstick... but I am glad you mentioned that. I didn't consider the waters effect just the suns. I wasn't sure if holding our breath translates to inhale/exhale ... seems like it would exercise the diaphram.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Taking good full deep breaths is key. Putting many pounds of water pressure on your chest will not accomplish this. If you want to breath longer, try circular breathing. I use that technique a lot and it works well.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Of course if you have a woman in a bikini swimming above you, that may truly help on your breathing and other bodily functions.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    [​IMG]