What are your thoughts on the benefits, if any, of freediving concerning trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 8, 2014.

1. lipnutz

lipnutz Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2013
    Should your life end at the jaws of a great white shark, you would never have to practice again.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Maintain breath support to hold out a note or phrase for a longer period of time.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Forensics stated it was a mix of salt and abraded skin scales. Her scalp had been sunburned.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Thanks guys... if I notice anything either way from practicing holding my breath longer I will get back to you.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi coolerdave,
    Yes there is a correlation between this and trumpet playing. notice how calm the person is with their legs floating upwards. Remember, they are surrounded by water but they remain calm and......wait for it.....WAIT FOR IT!!...... "relaxed"
    How many times have you heard the word "relaxed" on this site. Also, I think it was amzi who reminded us that Mendez advocated swimming as a way to help with trumpet playing. This too makes sense even to the advice given on this site. For those who've been taught how to swim competitively, you learn early that you do not hold your breath. It's not breath, hold it, swim, then exhale. It's inhale, dive, swim while you exhale, swim while you inhale, ect.. There's no holding the breath except possibly during the dive. So, how many times have you heard that when playing the trumpet it's more like breathing and we do not hold our breath? Many times and it's discussed in The Basics Sheet. So does your vid, have a correlation? Yes. How to control your tension under stress "relax". Does swimming assist in trumpet playing, Mendez says yes and I can't think of a higher trumpet opinion than Mendez but I do not agree blindly. Swimming requires that we not hold our breath and trumpet playing does too.
    I don't know if anyone has said this but, something that will assist in this process is to make sure the lungs are dumped of the stale air before putting fresh air into them. Think of the lungs like two separate containers of milk. As most of you know, you never pour old milk in with the new milk as a way of making more room in the frig.
    Hope this helps.
    Dr.Mark

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I took a yoga class (for the first time) a few weeks ago and had a rehearsal immediately afterward. I seemed to be able to play with significantly less effort, so I'm thinking that being relaxed is what did the trick.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    + 1 on relaxation! That's my entire approach to music: practicing, playing, listening or tutoring. Relax and enjoy!

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    You stated:
    "Taking good full deep breaths is key."
    ----
    Yes and no. It is just as important to make sure the lungs are dumped before inhaling.
    ----
    If you want to breath longer, try circular breathing. I use that technique a lot and it works well.
    ----
    If you want to play longer without rests ( ex.moto perpetum (sp?), try circular breathing.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No, not true... don't mess with the pulmonary doc here.... That provides PEEP which is most important for keeping the alveoli and therefore more surface area open for oxygen exchange. The more oxygen exchange, the more energy you have to play... oops, now every one knows my secrete to playing. But not another PEEP out of you Dr.Mark. Pip, pip.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It would seem from your statement there that you haven't done a lot of it. Besides that, how is training yourself to hold your breath longer NOT learning better usage of the lungs?

I learned early on that if you wanted to have half a chance at being the kid who could stay under the longest, or swim the furthest underwater, that it needed to be approached in a calm way - a good deep breath, stay calm, and use strong, smooth strokes to maximize your efforts and use the least amount of oxygen. For me this wasn't a high tension activity at all - high tension leads to burning up way too much oxygen too fast.