What are your warm-ups?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by degree210, Jan 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. degree210

degree210 New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    What do you do when warming up for the first session of the day, and then what does your warm up consist of during your second or even third practice sessions?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I play a 3 or 4 scales and a few low notes to loosen up. Anything more is counterproductive for me.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I play low long tones Low C down to pedal C) until my chops feel right, then transition into slow slurs across low partials. After that usually a break before doing Clarke #1, #2, #3 (usually incorporating tonguing variations... just K tongue, or DT each note, Triple tongue, etc.) That'll kill the 1st two-three sessions of the day. For the other sessions during the day I will do an Irons flexibility study or a scale to get the buzz going, but it is very brief... then right into whatever I am working on that session.

4. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    I buzz the mouthpiece for a few minutes and then go to Chicowicz long tones. I run through my entire range, doing the first three transpositions, sometimes more. (About twice a month I'll do something different, like the Stamp/Hood routine) Then it's a quick couple of double or triple tonguing exercises off the top of my head and I'm done. Whole thing takes 15 minutes, tops. Then I rest for at least 20 to 30 minutes before playing more. If I'm not off to a gig or to teach, I'll then run though flexibility, scales, Clarke, articulation, and whatever else in a couple more 15-30 minute sessions. After that it's whatever needs work-improv, piccolo trumpet, or arranging more tunes for my band. If it's a slow time of year, I'll work on etudes, solos, and excerpts.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    For me, sometimes I think that "warm-up routines" and "maintenance routines" can overlap somewhat.

My warm-up is what I do to get things going. My maintenance routine is something I do to touch on some key elements before I go on to other parts of my daily practice.

My warm up is a variation of the mouthpiece warm-up, which is in the front of the Schlossberg book. I do it with the trumpet, not with the mouthpiece. It takes a couple minutes.

My maintenance routine takes about 20 minutes consisting of mouthpiece buzzing (usually arpeggios), long tones (either arpeggios or something similar to Schlossberg #6), and slurs and tonging (often based on variations of Clarke #1 or #2).

For warm-ups later in the day, I usually just repeat the Schlossberg mouthpiece warm-up (again, on the trumpet, not with the mouthpiece).

Mike

6. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I enjoy an abridged version of Stamp warmups. The whole shebang maybe once or twice a week, more as therapy than warmup. It's sometimes hard to discern where warmup ends and practice begins, but after about 10 minutes of just about anything easy and gentle, I'm ready to rock.

ed

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I like the Heimatton concept of Gerald Webster.

Gerald Webster discovered that when we play a medium high, medium low, medium loud tone on our mouthpiece first thing in the day, the same pitch will come out, our personal "home" tone, or Heimatton (he discovered this while touring with Edward Tarr in Germany, thus the name). "Personal" means just that, each person has his/her own Heimat tone -- there is no "good," "bad" or "ideal."

Some players start their warm-ups on c below the staff, then work their way upwards, but that makes any thing above c below the staff a more or less a high note. Rather than starting in the lower register, consider starting at your personal Heimatton and expanding from there. That gives us the feeling of having more low tones to relax for, and fewer high ones to struggle for.

Hard to diagnose things over the internet, so the best we can do is make suggestions for you to experiment with.

Have fun!

8. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    I open the case, wiggle the valves, empty the water key, and take a breath. Done!

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I do Walter Moeck's trumpet warm-up. If I have to play later, I just do the first of the 6 exercises and it's sufficient.

10. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under