What books do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Heidi, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Heidi

Heidi New Friend

Mar 27, 2009
    Southeast, GA
    I need some new music. Most of the music I own is simple stuff I bought when I was in high school or music I kept from then. I'd love some new (more complicated) tunes and would also like some books that are focused on basics. Anyone have some favorites to recommend? Easy to difficult, it doesn't matter. I play different things when I'm in different moods.

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Sigmund Hering etudes are greater for tunes
    Practice Sight-reading by Dufresne is killing me right now (in a good way)
    Clarke is my favorite technical book, and there is a collection of clarke cornet solos that I really enjoy playing out of

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    There's always the trumpeter's Bible "Arban's" ,Clarke's Technical Studies, Clarke's Characteristic Studies and any thing else you can get your hands on that interests you.

4. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    On the tutor side I like the Allen Vizzutti Trumpet Method. 3 books that collects lots of familiar excercises and puts them together in his inimitable style.

My current favourite etude collection is Mel Broiles 'Private Practice'. It's also got some nice duets towards the back. The music I'm working on at the moment comes from 'Contemporary Music for Trumpet' edited by Peter Wastall and published by Boosey and Hawkes.

I have lots of other stuff but these are favourites for the moment.

Regards,

Trevor

5. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Most fun available are books that come w/CD accompaniment; I'm a fan of those by Hal Leonard publishers mostly. Find a niche you're not familiar with and explore . Improv, blues, Jazz... "Amazing Phrasing" is cool for improve.

There are many "Music Minus One" series out there, too. If you want to sit in with a Big Band, you can find those "swing" books as well.

If you want tutorial and instruction I highly recommend Hal Leonard "Playing Techniques & Performance Studies" for trumpet. It comes in three individual volumes, each with CD accompaniment performance by Arturo Sandoval.

You definitely should tackle the first two volumes before you consider purchasing the third volume. Some may disagree, but, I would also recommend "mastering" the first volume, all the way through, before ever hiring a private teacher.

Books......music....notes.......getting late.......

Many trumpet books have no notes at all. Theory, pedagogy, endurance, and even biographies of the "Greats" are a good read and educational.

6. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Verne Reynolds 48 etudes, a great book with 48 atonalitiy etudes!
    Earl Irons 27 exercices for the trumpet, great technique book!

And as Bachstul mentions, the Arturo Sandoval books! Fun exercices and great etudes!

7. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    You definitely need the Arban's.

It's got everything--hard, easy, solos, contest piece, duets, basics, and the ever famous impossibles.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Heidi,
    Many of the Aebersold play alongs are SOP at the music colleges.
    Also, Hal Leonard play alongs
    Maria Schneider play alongs

9. Heidi

Heidi New Friend

Mar 27, 2009
    Southeast, GA
    Thanks, I'll start looking them up soon. At least after I've paid my credit card bill this month.

My favorite book I have, I got from my dad. It's ancient and falling apart, so I made copies of all the songs, so the book wouldn't be completely finished off. It's called 33 Popular Solos (Charles Hansen Educational Music and Books). I love to play 'Colour My World' (Chicago) and 'Joy to the World' (Three Dog Night).

Can't wait to try out some new stuff though. Thanks again, appreciate all the suggestions.