What Brand of Trumpet is Sergei Nakariakov Playing On?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Dec 20, 2008.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I have watched a few of his performances from him as a young boy and also in present times. His trumpet's tuneing slide and bell crook both look too square to be a Bach. Now his trumpet has changed a few times so I am figureing he has more then one. I noticed that the buttons seem to change styles several times and the squarness of the slide and bell crook vary too but more often then not they are too square to match any brand I can think of.Also the flair of the bell is also different then most modern Bach I am thinking? Is their a Russian high end trumpet maker or is useing a Swiss made trumpet or something like that?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sergei is a Courtois Artist. There has been traditionally strong ties between France and Russia.

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Sergei Nakaryakov played with the Brooklyn Philharmonic in 1992. This was possibly his first major outing. He was the off-stage soloist in a piece by Morton Gould, "Festive Music."
    He played a Getzen with a Bach 10½C.
    Wilmer

4. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I never thought about that. I studied Russian botht he language and their culture in school. I visited their with my schools band and choir. I made more trips to East Berlin then I can remember and my Russian studies teacher and German teacher was a political disadent since she escaped from East Germany long before the wall came down and reunification happened. A lot of the food not the pheasant kind either is of French design since somany of the early Czars had chiefs imported from France. So it does make sense that they would import other things fromt heir as well. I have to admit though that my knoldge and experince with French made instruments is very limited since Germany has their own well established instrument industry and I spent most of my time in Germany.

So Rowuk since you are in Europe and a musician and teacher how would you rate the Courtois line? What would you say they most sound like ie Bach, Schilke, B&S, Yamaha etc????? It sounded to me a lot like a light weight Bach but haveing never heard one in real life just on TV and Internet I would hate to make such a judgement based on that alone. My TV and my Computer do not have reference quality sound reproduction. In fact I do not even have surround sound on my TV even though it is a huge HD tv. My stero is easily studio reference level but that is all. So I would really be interested in what you can tell me from your personel experince as I value experince based on hearing something live much more so then any recording format that is common to T or Internet!

Thanks!