What can be said of the trumpet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by brem, Mar 4, 2009.

1. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    What can be said of the trumpet...

I have tried two trumpets, using the same mouthpiece. When playing the low notes down to F#, I could make it resonnate easier on one horn versus the other.

What can be said of the trumpet I had more of a "dead" F#. What could be the cause?

:shock:

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Do you remember how the 2 trumpets differed with respect to bore size, bell type, leadpipe, and so on?

3. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    As far as I know, same bore size, can't really asses bell type or leadpipe... Horn felt a bit heavier.

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

On average the heavier horn will provide a greater 'feedback' to the player. This has been discussed here on many occasions already.

OLDLOU>>

5. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Yes, but what could explain the "dead" F#?

Is it me who doesn't have "strong enough" lips to make it resonate as much as the lighter horn?

6. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Not excactly in tune? :roll:

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Brem,
    synergy is the probable reason. When you play, your ears/brain has expectations. If the low F# is a little flat, you have to subconciously lip it into tune. If the trumpet has a smaller bell diameter, the low notes are not amplified as much, if the backbore of your mouthpiece does not match the leadpipe - the blow can be very uneven.

What I am saying is that when the horn lines up with your expectations, you like it. When it doesn't you don't. It may just be the wrong choice for you.

8. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    It's quite possible rowuk.

It really gives much feedback though. And the middle and upper range is really nice, if a little darker than the other horn.

I was just wondering if the face the lower range (F#) was a "good indicator" as to the quality of a horn or if it was something else...

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I simply do not accept horns that do not meet my expectations anymore. If I notice something wrong, I just say no. There are enough "superior solutions" even for budgets!

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    A larger mouthpiece gap can cause the lower register to be stuffy while increasing slotting, and sometimes makers will add resistance at the beginning of the bell, also affecting the lower register.

Great horns are great in all registers.