What case for an Olds Recording?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by craigph, Sep 15, 2011.

1. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    My Olds Recording came to me without a case, and I've wondered about getting a proper Olds case for it on eBay or elsewhere. Can someone tell me - were all cases (Super, Special, Recording, etc.) the same for a 60's horn or as the Recording case different? With the offset valves I wonder if it would fit correctly in a non-Recording case.

2. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    If I'm not mistaken, the Recording came in this case . . .

[​IMG]

However, for several years it also shared the same case with the Mendez trumpet/cornet . . .

[​IMG]

And, I believe both the Mendez and Recording were later available (late 60's) in the Samsonite style Olds case . . .

[​IMG]

So, any of the above would be technically era-correct. And, in spite of its slightly different valve configuration, the recording should fit it any Olds trumpet case. Or for that matter, any full-size trumpet case.

Any of the Recording gurus out there . . . please chime in to correct me.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    My experience is limited to two Olds horns - my Recording and somebody else's Super Recording. Both of those cases were the same, mine being presumably about 9 years newer given the relative ages of the horns ('48 and '57). My case doesn't keep the horn secure in one spot - it slides around a bit, and so I usually keep my Recording in a new Protec case (and I'm considering a Torpedo bag).

Oh, and the valves are different -- the Recording has the offset valve, the Super Recording doesn't.

--bumblebee

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  4. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I carry mine in a ProTec.

5. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Hoping to help... :-)

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    +1 ANA Mendez.

That's the case I am familiar with for the Recording.

7. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    This is the more common color combo, the lighter trim....

[​IMG]

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm not putting my '56 Recording in the original case that it came in ..... A rough tweedy looking thing that doesn't offer the best protection (although it comes with a groovy high school booster club sticker).

The Recording fits perfectly in several cases I have, and gets better protection. My fav: A new Bach single case that came with an old Buescher trumpet. It also fits great in the carry on luggage style case that came with my Eastman. Whatever nice case the Recording wants, it gets. It's top dog around here now.

Turtle

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi Steve, interesting pictures -- the first one most closely matches mine, but the catches and handle on mine are different (though similar). I can't recall the Super Recording case I mentioned to that level of detail though inside it seemed the same.

--bumblebee

10. A.N.A. Mendez

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I will post a photo of correct Olds Super Recording case (Rare). Here is a rare beaut from the 1930s, Olds Super....

[​IMG]