What Causes Lips To NOT Buzz?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MikeDog, Mar 14, 2012.

1. MikeDog

MikeDog New Friend

Mar 23, 2009
    Excellent, thanks everyone! To answer a previous question: both of these students are freshmen this year in my band, and have been playing for 3.5 years.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Assuming they learned from the get go to buzz, sounds like fatigue is the big issue.

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Not a gimmick. Tis true. Takes a week. Or so.

You can't do bad juju to yourself and have all things well.

4. MikeDog

MikeDog New Friend

Mar 23, 2009
    One other thing I should have pointed out, the student in question does sport braces, but he has also had success with braces (they have been on for about a year). Apparently, yesterday when this all happened, his accompanist said it just kept getting worse and worse...like he was just getting more and more frustrated, stressed, etc. I am thinking fatigue coupled with a LOT of tension must have been the problem. I have not met with him today other than in group rehearsal.

I will use some of the relaxation techniques people here have given me. Also, while in college, I had a teacher who, in order to get me to relax, told me to lay on my back while doing some warm ups...now, that may sound very strange to a lot of you, but I have to say it did work to help relax me and prevented some bad habits.

Thanks everyone!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Favorite techniques for me are practicing after a hot shower and dividing the daily practice into logical groups: 1) Long tones and slurs, 2) scales and easy tunes (like Hymnbook stuff), 3) repertory and ONLY AFTER EVERYTHING ELSE IS FINISHED - technical studies. At least an hours break should be between the individual units.

Braces need a different view as the possibility of pain (that the body subconciously compensates) or the barbed wire digging into the back of the lips that limits motion and thus flexibility. Students with braces should ALWAYS have a bottle of water available when they practice. They can take sips to cool and reduce swelling. About 1/3rd of my students with braces use dental wax to coat them - thus preventing the above mentioned damage.

Salt and braces are a REAL KILLER!

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    For students with braces you really should check out an item called Morgan Bumpers. They are made for students with braces and they work. been around for a long time.

There are several things that can cause the problems you describe. Exterme stiffness from overplaying will kill an embouchure. The muscles become rigid and the sound get worst and worst until there is no buzz. Solution: no playing until muscles relax. You can help this along by having them do pedal tones. Just have them play open and move the pitch around in the pedal register. It will help if you show them, play, what to do. Do it for 5 to 10 minutes a day until they can play a G in the staff.

It sounds like they tried to "cram for the exam" which you can't do on a trumpet. If all of a sudden they doubled their npractice time that would do it.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    death

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    A highly clinical opinion I must say.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Wasn't there a post about too many potato chips doing this to a member? .... yeah ... kids and there chips

10. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    Just breath! Your lips buzzing is a result of you breathing. Nothing else. Yes, you tighten the lips and manipulate your chops to change pitch etc. but, its all breathing. Closing your throat will result in an unsteady flow of air and stop a note short. To change the volume of a note e.g get louder, push more air through the instrument. To reduce the volume, push less air through. Don't close your throat, just breath more slowly.