What Chrismastime gigs do you have?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by leftmid7, Dec 23, 2010.

1. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I'm just playing some traditional carols at my dad's church in the Detroit area, my brother accompanying on 12 string guitar, sounds fantastic. Drug out some old descants I found as well, really adds a nice color.

I just think trumpet music at Christmas really 'makes it.'

What are some of you doing? I bet Rowuk is playing in some awesome old church somewhere, or maybe Wilmer is accompanying a huge choir somewhere in NYC?

No matter how big or small, lay it on me. It's fun to hear what others are doing.

Merry Christmas everyone,

And I just realized I misspelled my title but it won't let you edit that part, sorry.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Good on ya! I got talking to a colleague in the government padded cell next to mine and learned she's a member of a church choir...and offered my services gratis to join them for a High Catholic Mass this Friday evening. It'll be the first non-jazz outing for my Getzen 907S and I'm very curious to hear how it sounds in the big old stone church here in Ottawa. Got the first & only rehearsal tonight: 2 carols and some 'colour' parts in & around the sections of the Mass itself. Am already thinking about doing something similar for someone else at Easter...

3. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    3 simple carols with the 3 other families where i live, hot mince pies all round. The mince pies should make up for my playing. ha ha

4. Irensaga

Irensaga Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    I played alongside a Gospel Choir in a carol concert. It was in a nice big hall so the sound was awesome.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    My trio played jazzy Christmas songs at a a local mall.

6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    been playing with a brass choir the past couple of weeks, probably close to 7 performances + playing every Sunday of Advent at our church. One big band Christmas concert.

7. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    Playing at Midnight Mass (which is at 10:30?) tonight ('tis Christmas Eve here in New Zealand, but I suspect it's still Christmas Adam to most of the readers (Sorry, bad joke)).
    Playing some Descants (on Piccolo) on "While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night", "O Come All Ye Faithful" and "Hark the Herald Angels Sing", and Bb on "Fanfare and Alleluia" (the Gospel Greeting)

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Merry Christmas Bagnewaukland! Played with the Loras College band at the mall. Had a couple of concerts cancelled due to snow.....Merry Christmas. Played with a small group in front of Wal Mart for the Salvation Army kettel. Played solo for the preschool kids where I work. But Im not quite sick of Christmas music yet, what to do? Best wishes.

9. Bagnewauckland

Bagnewauckland Pianissimo User

Dec 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    I've managed to avoid listening to a lot of Christmas Music this year! I'm still sane!

The Descant on "O Come All Ye Faithful" is quite cool - it's based on the "Gloria" section of "Angels we Have Heard on High" - I can post it if anyone's interested in surprising their organist/choir!

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I've been playing Christmas music and standard type songs in places that range from churches and conference centers to country clubs.
    I've done around 11 gigs so far this month.