What comes before beginner?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FredSuperNun, May 21, 2010.

1. FredSuperNun

FredSuperNun New Friend

May 21, 2010
    Wales
    I hope i'm posting in the right section, I considered posting in the Horns section but in the end I settled for here.

I'm a massive Ska fan who loves trumpet solo's but has never had the time or money to start learning an instrument. I'm 19 now and considering buying my first trumpet but have no idea what is best.

I have looked at several sites and guides but I live in a crappy little town in Wales so there aren't very many music shops to go browse in, which leaves an internet purchase. Does anyone have any reccomendations? My eventual aim is to be able to play along with my favourite ska songs (obviously a long way down the line), but this is kindo f hampered by the lack of an instrument :oops:

Oh and then comes the budget problem, being an unemployed student I can't really justify sinking more than £150 into an instrument i've never played before. So I am really lost on where to look and what to buy.

Thanks in advance :]
    Fred

2. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, Fred!

Before beginner, I think would be "dreamer"! ;-)

Do you know any other trumpet/cornet players? Is there a Salvation Army church somewhere in your vicinity? They have many brass players in the church who might want to help you! (They may also want to recruit you for the church, but you might be able to deal with that later.)

I think at your stage, your best bet would be to talk to a trumpet playing friend/acquaintance/neighbor.

Good luck!!

Guy

3. FredSuperNun

FredSuperNun New Friend

May 21, 2010
    Wales
    thanks, I will ask around. I have a lot of musical friends but they all seem to have followed the generic guitar route which seems a little dull to me.

4. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    theres only actually 2 choices to choose from

1) Find local teacher he'll teach you everything you need to know for the first 3 years, from blowing to oiling and cleaning

2) Became the ultimate DIY-man buy yourself this BAND TRUMPET Bb - FREE CASE FREE MOUTHPIECE - eBay (item 370384249955 end time May-23-10 17:02:34 PDT) cheap chinese trumpet (they ask 90 USD for brand new) or find something simmilar, but keepe it under 100 USD mark. Than read all of this forum, all of it, than watch some youtube, than blow the horn. thats it, oh and move all three fingers all around as fast as you can! happy trumpeting

(thats how I started BTW!!! and I play in couple of bands, one also ska band, and one bigband where I play flugel)

bye :thumbsup: take care:thumbsup::-)

5. FredSuperNun

FredSuperNun New Friend

May 21, 2010
    Wales
    thanks :) I think i'll probably buy that one if it's still there tommorow. Ye I doubt i'll be able to find a teacher round here so it looks like I have the tough task of attempting to learn my first instrument from scratch using the internet >.<

6. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    DON'T buy that horn. You will regret it when it falls apart after a month. Go for a student trumpet from a reputable brand (Bach, Yamaha, Getzen, Holton, etc).

7. samej

samej New Friend

Apr 22, 2010
    Bristol, Uk
    Something like this is likely to be a better bet. It's the older version of the yamaha 2335 beginner trumpet. Not sure what it's worth, but 6 hours remaining and no bids...

Though if you are buying over the internet, caveat emptor as they say.

8. samej

samej New Friend

Apr 22, 2010
    Bristol, Uk
    Also, where abouts in Wales are you? If you can make it to a big town there is almost certainly going to be a trumpet teacher or several. If you can then they may be able to help you find a decent trumpet as well as starting you off in the right direction.

9. FredSuperNun

FredSuperNun New Friend

May 21, 2010
    Wales
    lol too many choices o.o... I think i'll have to ask around and try and find a teacher of some sorts, seems like it's going to be too difficult picking one over the internet let alone learning to play it :p

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    How about web cam lessons? Hint hint.