What Concerts are coming up at CalArts

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by a_legaspi, Jan 5, 2006.

1. a_legaspi

a_legaspi New Friend

Sep 20, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey Ed,
    You gave me some info a few months ago with regards to some concerts of interests for trumpet players. Can you post those up here again, I think you said Mark Gould and his group were coming out, and the 20/20 foresight concert is coming up again. Oh! also, where is Dan Rosenbooms CD release concert/party going to be, I saw that on his website but not info on where and when. I only ask this early in advance because I need to ask for time off of work as early as possible. Last year I missed the whole after after party at Dan's house, I had to work that evening if I only would of known this then I would of had the whole day off. But I did get to talk to some of my favorite trumpet players, Ed Carroll (You) and Tom Stevens.
    Ariel
    P.S. Ed does the name Lester Remsen ring a bell?

2. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Ariel,

I'm a relative newcomer to Los Angeles (5th season) but remember Les Remsen from both Avant and Crystal records. Didn't he play in the LAPhil years ago as well?

Important, can't miss, dates at CalArts include:

Friday, January 13th: MARK GOULD and PINK BABY MONSTER (the dates says it all)

Friday, Febuary 17th: DAN ROSENBOOM's CD (Bloodier, Mean, Son) release concert.

Wednesday, April 12th: 20/20 FORESIGHT (members of the CalArts trumpet class, maybe a few guests, playing off-the-wall stuff)

Other cool things may pop up as well. I'll try to keep the forum up to speed.

The above are all in the Roy O. Disney Concert Hall at 8:00 and are free. Seats are easy -- new music doesn't draw flys (but the few insects that attend will be the most enlightened anywhere!)

Come one, come all, and we'll hang afterwards.

Buzzing about,
    EC

3. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Ariel,

Lester Remsen was Principal Trumpet with the Los Angeles Philharmonic during the 1950-1951 season and Principal with the Buffalo Philharmonic from 1947 to 1950.

Hope this helps.

4. a_legaspi

a_legaspi New Friend

Sep 20, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I actually studied with him from 1998-1999. He had not taught anyone in about 15 years or even picked up a horn for the same amount of time but we got in contact and he decided to take me on as a student. He got me prepared for my auditions at USC, he was such a tremendous help in my trumpet playing as well as my life. I owe alot to that man, he was my first teacher, and I was 17 years old. I learned the trumpet in the 6th grade (late bloomer u could say) and learned all the advanced techniques for trumpet from books (Arbans) and listening to other people play that were more advanced than me. Ed I am pretty sure you know a good friend of mine, Javier Gonzalez, he is a jazz trumpet major at CalArts, me and him were in the South Gate City Youth Band together, wow memories. And folks I am still trying to break old habits that I have, but I take it one day at a time. Talk to you all soon.
    Ariel
    P.S. Malcom McNab is having a master class I believe at UCLA on January 8th in Schoenberg Hall at 2pm, bring your horn and mpc.

5. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Ariel,

Javier has the easiest, most powerful, double C (double E as well) that I've ever heard. He studied with Wayne Bergeron last term and knocked Wayne's socks off.

We have a few others at CalArts with incredible high ranges at the moment. I think it's important -- high concert E becomes the middle register and pieces like Max Davies' LITANY (and others) become possible.

Great fun.

Best, and hope to see you next week
    EC