What constitutes a 'good' teacher?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Oct 10, 2012.

1. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Just curious to know. I'm considering changing teachers as I don't feel I'm really getting anything from this one, so I'm just wondering what you guys think of what makes a teacher good?

Thanks,

McTrumpet

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Expertise and knowledge with a great ability to communicate. Not all great players are good teachers. Good teachers will have years of expertise at playing behind them - preferably in the arena you wish to develop your abilities - Jazz. Brass Band etc...

A teacher needs to be a person who can adjust their abilities to meet the needs of the situation with a student. Picks up every fault, and helps you on the path to be better. AND have fun!!

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    What Peter said. Plus, a good teacher will call students on their stuff, be brutally honest, and be honestly impressed with a student's progress.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    What Peter and Vulgano B said. Also, I think, a good teacher is a good match for you ..... Someone who, especially for older students, shares a certain vibe with you. Flexibility towards different personalities is helpful, and a SENSE OF HUMOR is a must, I think.

Turtle

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A good teacher will also make sure your head stays the same size it was when you started despite your improvement!

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    A good teacher teaches you trumpet. A great teaches not only how to play, but act, teaches you about life and how to live it. A great teacher is always more than a teacher but a mentor, a guide to help you through life.

7. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Follow on to the OP's question: All the advice here sounds great, but how do you know? Generally do teachers give a lesson or two as freebies, sort of try before you buy?

8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    College students and professors, generally not, but regular instructors are a little more willing.

9. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    There are 3 must-have skills:
    1) Knowledge (a teacher should also consider themselves a student or they come off as a know-it-all...of which I believe there truly are none)
    2) Ability to listen/communicate with a player, including what they say, how they act, etc. ("connect" with each other)
    3) Patience (to me, mostly about recognizing that every student progresses at a different pace)

10. michaelm2

michaelm2 New Friend

Mar 23, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Add a syllabus or lesson plan to the above. A good teacher should be able to show you what they expect at certain levels. If the student isn't keeping up with the progress in the lesson plan. It's time to reevaluate the student and teacher. This lets the student know what to expect and where they fall into the expected progress. The teacher who just teaches week to week based on what the student is doing rather than what is expected, isn't doing anyone any justice.

Mike