What constitutes a 'good' teacher?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Mike, I honestly never knew what a syllabus was until I went to college, and I don't expect any student in most public schools (high school and below) would know what they are either. While lesson plans may be functional on a case by case basis, IMO to have such apply equally to a class of 30 plus students ... some persons in the upper echelolon of educational management needs to get their human values adjusted. To me this seems akin to a physician prescribing the same medicine for all ailments, and it is my consensus that public school education (same criteria) is "ailing".

Three states have accredited me to teach mathematics, earth science, and instrumental music and they prescribe the texts I'd be required to "teach" from at different levels and how I would categorize achievement ... by comparison to other students ... not to their own individual progress. Well, like a trumpet and most other endeavors, some can, some can't and some won't ... but still there are others that will never have the opportunity for various rationale reasons. Thus, teaching quickly vanished as my lifelong career field.

I'm now tutoring only 4 young 6th grade boys for their second year on trumpet and I'm using the same book series they use in their school instrumental music class plus some supplemental etudes I provide. Well, in class they have now begun book 2, but in the tutoring sessions I offer they finished that book last year and now are midway along in book 3. Too, I feel that 2 of the boys have begun to get the knack of sight reading music an element that I read here on TM that some trumpeters still lack.

Will the 4 boys ever earn a living playing trumpet? I really don't expect them to, but I hope they'll eventually enjoy music the rest of their lives as I do.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    a good teacher is one who is teachable themselves --- LEARNING never stops, and the first teacher that thinks he/she knows everything --- is the first teacher to NOT go to. IMHO,

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    That really is an easy question or it can be as complicated as you want to make it.
    simple answer ... A good teacher produces good results

complicated ... inspires you to practice and push yourself ( more so than then just normal practice) ... knowledgable ( I had a teacher who knew the most random things about obscure trumpets, nuances of performance works) ... experience with varied students and knows the appropriate path and exercises .. not just a cookie cutter lesson plan... mentoring as far as general life and situational to music venues... and possibly the respect of accomplished musicians because the students produced are exceptional.

4. Avan

Avan New Friend

Mar 9, 2012
    A good teacher? there are many, a Great teacher is one who makes you want to learn.................very few of those...............

When you find one, you will know, stick to Him or Her and prosper...............

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Not meaning to take your words out of context, but who are these unnamed evaluators AND who are they that evaluates the quality of their productivity? A reality check ... the percentage of those that begin the study of music and achieve renown with music sure won't come anywhere near swinging the hammer hard enough to ring the bell and win a prize.

Personally, if I can achieve the presentation of music to others that will instill their desire to attend musical concerts and performances and support their own children to do the same, I will be gratified that I've been very successful. Some can, some can't, some won't and some never have the opportunity applies at this point also.

I've yet to know of any public school that provides the opportunity for all their students to attend the live performance of a full symphony orchestra. I'm very thankful that I had this opportunity as an individual many times during my lifetime, inclusive of while I attended public school. Likewise having attended many live performances of musicals. Too, though not while in public school, I've heard the best of the best of our military bands in live perormances having lived near and worked in DC.

Still in all, there was always music in my space via my parents, grandparents, friends, neighbors and amours and I hope you have the same in yours.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A great teacher is one that empowers you with total creativity... to design your own practice plan and goals (with creative nudging)... then gives you the opportunity to test the skills you have worked toward among others... through critical feedback... at which point, goals are reset.

My lessons with Claudio Roditi were all about building my improvisational vocabulary. He empowered me to transcribe solos of jazz solos of my selection, then define their role, where they would fit, the roots to the patterns, and why they work and why other patterns may have worked more. Then to rearrange the transcription to meet those goals, at which point, he had me learn them in all keys! Not done yet....

Then Claudio would play the cab ride down to SoHo to a studio, were we would jam to jazz selections with musician friends (typically Mel Torme's band), with a focus to use the techniques I learned for the day. Not done yet. These sessions were recorded, and played back at the end of the session, at which point, I would receive critique from the band. This constitutes a good teacher. A complete improvisational session.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Good points Ed .... when I think of good results as a trumpet teacher I do think of things like scholarships to big name schools and students who go on to hold prize seats in orchestras or bands. A good music teacher .. well you have nailed it.
    Like I said you can make it as complicated, probably should have said broad, as you want to. I had a fabulous music teacher from elementary school in general music and then she taught theory and harmony in high school .... she graduated fom Juliard but what a wonderful person and inspired me as to what a musician could be and what different musicians had done.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    All of the above are essentially correct - BUT - we all need to realise that a good teacher is there to facilitate self discovery. So learning is self directed with the teacher acting simply as a catalyst (thanks Ed, your thoughts paraphrased).

Surprisingly we all know a LOT about trumpeting - we just don't recognise how MUCH we know, and we generally don't know how to bring it all together. We know there is a physical component, and mostly we recognise that most of our "problems" are in our heads. A good teacher allows us to become aware of what we know, and to identify what we don't know, AND to lead us to finding how to minimise the difference.

I don't think a good teacher actually has to be a player (they will probably need to be a musician though), because that may sometimes get in the way due to the teachers own pre-conceptions, and his (her) unintentional imposition of that pre-conception on the learner.

Be careful trying to put a formula to the 'Good Teacher' - because a teacher will interact with each of us differently, some positively, some not so. The OP KNOWS what he is looking for in a teacher - he also knows that his present teacher doesn't suit him (who may very well be my perfect teacher BTW). The OP probably has no idea how to verbalise his requirements. So he will need to try a few and see how they match each other. So the commentator who suggests a necessary compatibility between learner and facilitator is pretty much on the money, in my humble opinion.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I do not believe, as I read the news of those who have received a Nobel Laureate, that the individuals that received them set such as a goal, but I do believe that Ted was concise to say, "... a good teacher is there to facilitate self-discovery."

Admittedly, I've begun to study quite a few subjects that had I proceeded with them, I would have attained more rewards of achievement in life than I now have. Yet, my highest attainment of study is now useless to me, and with that there still remained my love of music that I've comeback to being a player of through some pretty rough personal times, my comeback initially beginning with a friend gave me his old Conn Director cornet with which I was surprised that I could still run a chromatic scale on ... slowly at first ... but now able to play the Grand March Chromatique aka Entry of The Gladiators popularized as the theme for the clown entry at the Ringling Brothers & Barnum and Bailey Circus. Too, I have had no problem sight reading the transposition of C instrument music to Bb or F instruments, while it was a paper chore for me to do so for my daughter's first Alto sax in Eb, but she now plays flute, clarinet, and alto, tenor and baritone sax and has my 11 year old grandddaughter now learning the clarinet and that is my greatest SUCCESS as I put in bold capital letters.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I know more today about my trumpet than yesterday -- my teacher is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He taught me how to play a trombone to enhance my trumpet skills and learn a new instrument -- my teacher is AWESOME!!!!!!!!! my teacher taught me how to enjoy music and be involved -- my teacher is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!