What constitutes a 'good' teacher?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    Perhaps you already have a decent teacher. What makes you think he is inadequet? How long have you been his/her student? What is it you are looking for in a teacher?

2. dorkdog

dorkdog Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2012
    Pencil-Tucky
    A good teacher is going to make sure the prerequisites are in place before moving on to the next skill.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Dorkdog, does "Pencil-Tucky" mean the South-West boonies of Pennsylvania as in memories now were once my stompin' grounds also, albeit I then lived about 8 miles from the Point in Pittsburgh. Still there, in from about the mid 1940s to the mid "50s, I learned brass music from another former Sousa cornetist like Herbert Clarke, Walter H. Cameron, he then being my public school instructor, private tutor, and high school band director ... my point being that you'd not likely be able to play Sousa's music if you hadn't learned the prerequisites ... and our high school band played a lot of Sousa music and still I'm addicted to it. I've even transposed the C piccolo solo part to play on my Schilke P5-4 piccolo trumpet, a part that irks me about the USMC's rendition that wipes out the reprise with a crescendo of basses and drums in the finale when Sousa didn't write such a crescendo. Still with no sticks (drums or conductor's baton) my recorded track time is precisely the same as the USMC's ... 3:38. I've got that Sousa tempo in my head and my Docs don't have a med that can get rid of it, not that I've needed any.