What determines a trumpet's key?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hoserb, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'd wager you didn't pay $400 or less for it, even if pre-owned.

2. shakey

shakey New Friend

Feb 18, 2012
    What is the price they get for those things?

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Actually you're right. I paid in the vicinity of 4000 francs (brand new from a store) for it back in 1992, a pretty hefty price but it's a quality instrument. I've seen only a couple of others, never seen one in the US or on e-Bay so I'd say they are not so common. I would not sell mine for $400 that's for sure.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    A trumpet in C with a set of Bb slides is a compromise. One or both of the configurations will have shortcomings, depending on the base design of the horn. Effective length is only part of the equation in having a good playing, in-tune trumpet. If you don't mind a slightly inferior horn (in at least one of the keys), a convertible is a cheaper way to have both a Bb and a C, though. Years ago, I went that route for a while, but eventually bought separate Bb and C trumpets.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As I can sight transpose from C to Bb, I've just never had a yearning for a C trumpet (or the surplus funds). The Bb is enough of a stew to stir. If anything, I'd think about a Thayer type pop-off to an F from a Bb. What do you think about this Ivan?

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Even when transposition is as easy as falling off a log, many times you still want the difference in sound produced by a trumpet in a different key.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Quite possible Dale. I just haven't yet been in the circumstance or occassion where I've found such a necessity.

Admittedly, I'm a piano music transposer fanatic, in addition to cornet/trumpet, also mellophone in F, and my euphonium. Many boxes of my Mother's and Grandmother's music here. Lots of the 50s pops my late brother and I bought for my Mother. 40s, my oldest brother bought her (that's the big band stuff).

Thanks but no thanks about burling a log. I've watched, but I'm not going to attempt it myself, especially not now. Luckily, I can still walk some.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    In classical music trumpets in different keys give you the option of having different texture of sound to fit the music. I'll play a D or Eb horn even if it means making the transposition difficult. I like to play Mozart operas on the D thrumpet regardles of the horn it's written for.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OK Physics boy, since the speed of sound is the distance travelled during a unit of time by a sound wave propagating through an elastic medium, which in dry air is at 20 °C (68 °F), is close to 345 meters per second, what key would a "traditional" Bb trumpet be playing when in Kingtrumpet's bathroom, which is primarily composed of moist methane gas?

[Hint: You can use the American Chemistry Society's publication on chemical characteristics to make this calculation.]

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No equations needed to answer this question.

Because "they" [makers of most brands of horn] make more money this way.