What Do I Do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Aug 30, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    During band camp, we got a new trumpet technician. He is an EXCELLENT tech when it comes to our drill, and quite frankly a good teacher. But I have one major problem, he pushes me wayyyy too much. I am known as a very loud player, and naturally play loud. My tone is still there, but because I can play with the volume and sound of about twelve leads, he has me cover these four rookies, and two players who are having problems with there playing. A couple problems arised that week. I am very short in stature, so the first two days I didn't concentrate on my music, but nailing my drill spot. Well that annoyed him very much, and he kept yelling at me to play, but not play quietly but play out. But when we were arced up playing our show, he also expected me to play full volume. The whole section as this belief I am a monster player, but the only problem is i don't know many trumpeters who can play nine-ten hours straight, at the volume of seven trumpets. I tried to keep at a piano volume, as the seconds and thirds all play the same part for the main movement, but then he tells me to play out. On thursday night during our arc up, my lips were so sore and unbelievable torn from my braces, they were bleeding. I told him that but he told me i have to play and if I don't then i will let my section down. So i played anyway, my chops kept bottoming out but in the want to not let my section down (he used guilt on me, a weakness i have) I started applying pressure, which as everyone knows is BAD. By friday's performance for the parents, I could barely play, and you could hear it in my sound. When on my own, i couldn't finish a single octave C scale, I could barely hit the G on the way up. I really pushed myself to make my lips vibrate the last bit they had to play for the performance, and it worked. After a week of rest they are back, but overall im asking for help, what do I do in this situation? Do i increase my endurance to this amount? Or just lay back and play pp when i feel neccesary?

I just don't know what more I can do, at this point it is too much for me as a sophomore to do. I can't carry six other trumpets this much, my chops will be destroyed. So please help me out, I might just talk to my director anyway about this situation with the tech, but I need other people with more life experience to help me a bit.

thanks in advance,
    Kristina

2. Rctrumpet1993@aol.com

[email protected] New Friend

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson fl
    I'm the section leader at Hudson high, what I do after every day of FFF playing is go home and play at ppp. I don't play anything specif, just something sweet and to get my lips to cool down.

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    Thats what I used to do, but after being pushed to play and carry everyone else for nine, ten, and one eleven hour day, my lips just bottom out, the guy finished my chops off, overused them when I said I couldn't do it anymore, not pushed me like he should, but manipulated me to play, how do you keep your chops going all day?

4. Rctrumpet1993@aol.com

[email protected] New Friend

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson fl
    They die, As marching season goes on your endurence gets better. You just have to pace yourself. I'm in the same boat as you, when I don't play the trumpets can't be heard. They all know their parts, they just don't have volume. I'm vary happy with them, I don't like making them lose tone quality. I won't play louder than I sound good at.

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    It just annoys me that he doesn't tell our leads to cover at all, I am supposed to be one lead but they wanted volume on the lower parts and new I could take it, so i switch back and forth and hold sustains with the leads. But I don't get why the other four, very capable players don't have to play out like I do. Everyone has this belief in our section that I am a monster player who can carry everyone, but I need a break, you know? Hopefully during our in-school rehearsals I can rest my chops and play softly like I used to during practices, and save the juice for competitions, but its just weird that I get targeted. The brass captain, and our two section leaders don't have this responsibilty? I just get so annoyed, plus he also tells me to hold my trumpet the way he likes, which makes it IMPOSSIBLE for my small hands to shoot my slide out, and more importantly hold my trumpet steady. According to him my pinky isn't allowed under the 3rd valve slide, and can't wrap around the bottom of the valve cassings.

Also I do play very clearly loud, and have that piercing sound that fits in marching settings, but he wants my full volume for the entire day, while im learning my sets too. I am still an amatuer, and with some of my sets combined with small legs, i have to really move, and right now visuals is a bigger concern then sound, especially since its so early in the season.

ps sorry if i come off as po-ed, kinda needing to get this out of my system lol

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If you are hurting yourself when playing, then there is no person on earth who can make you play more. Tell your teacher to lay off and that you are in pain.
    The whole marching band thing baffles me, but by the stuff you have been posting, it seems like you aren't taking care of yourself. You are in high school, and this stuff may seem like it is very important, but I think that damaging your lip and ruining any chances of a long trumpet playing career are a bit more important than making it through band camp.

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Kristina....

The FIRST thing I would do is get that @%^$*&@$ FIRED for what he told you.

I AM SERIOUS, that clown is going to risk YOUR lips so yopu don't let down your section???!!!!!

If I knew exactly where you were, I would take care of that myself.

I don't care how good a teacher you think he is,.....he is a jerk.

So mad I can't even type more right now!!!!

8. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    I've got to agree with Chuck, here. The guy's a jerk! Is he a brass instructor or just a drill instructor? If he's a brass instructor, he should be taken out and shot! What ever happened to a balanced section-even on the field? That does not require one person to "play as loud as seven other trumpets"! What he is doing (particularly to someone who has braces and has bleeding chops(!!!)) really is ruining your future in terms of playing! Loud for loudness sake isn't music.

9. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    You need to talk to you band director. Only s/he will have any effect on this sort of thing. It's not up to you carry the band. If it was me, I just wouldn't do what he says if I know it's going to beat me up the way you described. Really, what can he do to you? Yell? Make you run some laps? Beating yourself up like you described isn't worth it. You aren't letting your band down by taking care of yourself.

10. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    This is total BS. First of all, it is physically impossible for you to "cover" other members of your section. The only way it will sound like seven trumpets playing in perfect unison is if seven trumpets play in perfect unison. Even if a single trumpeter plays as loud as all seven combined would, it will not sound the sound; it will just sound bad and unbalanced. The fact that your instructor would expect this of you shows that he is not very well-learned in musical physics. Second of all, this guy is CRAZY! Tell him to **** off. No, this is not normal, and you shouldn't be expected to suddenly gain endurance. This is an isolated case of a crazy instructor who is asking you to do way too much.