What Do I Do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I am sorry Kristina....but you MUST report him all the way. He could have permanantly ruined your chops, or a least ruined your attitude about playing.

he is NOT an excellent tech, if he were, he would not have done what he did. He is an irresponsible guy in a position of authority. Worse, in a position of authority over young people who will do whatever he says.

He needs to be replaced. Period.

He and those like him are the reason some kids quit and others do not reach their full potential because of injuries to the lips.

The fact that by the end of band camp you were communicating is no good. He is a loose cannon.

I would at the very least, print this whole thread out and give it to your band teacher.

And never let ANYONE force you to do what is beyond common sense!

Like playing with bleeding lips.

This ain't a war and let the tech throw HIMSELF on the grenade, not you!

2. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I don't know whenever I feel like someone did wrong against me i second doubt what i've said about him/her so I don't know, something keeps telling me that he didn't over push me and the other says he did. Im kinda overwhelmed at this point, I wanna just ride it, and not listen to him at all, especially since we only have one rehearsal with him a week, and the rest of them no techs are present, I think ill be fine, but im just confused, and overwhelmed, and i don't know anymore.

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Kristina,

I must agree with SB. I can't understand how a person like your "tech" can get the job. If you report is objective, what he did is stupid, irresponsible and cruel. I do not know what a "tech" is (the music education system in American schools is still a mystery to me), whether is a payed job supposed to be done by a knowledgeable and experienced person or if it is taken by volunteer (=not paid). Either way is unacceptable. This person needs at least to get reprimanded for his actions, if not fired.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Its hard to disagree with Solar Bell. I'd tell the band director of the behavior as you said you are going to do. I'd also add that you've talked with your Mom and Dad and they will be requesting a meeting with the principal to lodge a complaint about this employee. That way the director (who you say is a good person) will have a heads up as to what's going down.
    It is not your job to battle on this level. That's what Moms and Dads are for. Parents are the ones that wield the power. They are the ones that will get this person on the fast track to unemployment............errrrr...I mean other gainful employment in another field.

5. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    There is nothing wrong with telling the full truth. Tell both your parents and band director and let them handle it.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Why do people do this? Because it works.

When "winning" becomes more important than each of the individual efforts, you have the same stuff that got us into the financial crisis.

Common sense is in short supply. This dude was hired to make the kill regardless what it costs. It sounds like he is doing that job. Whether or not discussion has any chance is something we cannot determine from here. One thing is sure, this is not for you. I would not attend practice until the problem is solved. You are not doing yourself any favors. Do not make this an emotional issue (that is tough, i know). Keep it rational. If the powers that installed this guy care, they will help. If making a killing is the goal, then your decision has been made for you.

Just say NO.

The key to winning is motivating the weak. The authors of the Bible knew that a couple of thousand years ago!

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Only problem is i LOVE marching band (hence the username) and I love playing trumpet, and marching band is the only band in the fall, so in order to fill my two adorations I kinda gotta go to practices. But I will keep what you just said in mind, im just going to ignore him........

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Kristina,
    you need a strategy, otherwise guilt may win again. You need to go to the Music teacher and then the pit bull and just tell them how it is going to be. If he is good, he will start all sorts of BS to prove that he is the boss. This is where you simply have to walk away from him. NO CONFRONTATION. Abuse is punishable by law and that argument should be left for your parents.

You need to keep a cooperative but firm attitude. You play the part and everybody knows it. They do not need to "worry" about you. You can mention that you are part of a team and if the team effort is not enough, then he needs to address the weaker players. That is real WORK and hot shots generally do not have the patience for long term support. Like I said, they are there for the KILL. Do not be a victim. There is no need for that. HE is letting the band down, not you.

9. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Kristina, why are you afraid to reveal the truth? What will you have done wrong if you tell your director what has happened? Don't feel the need to protect the tech; let your band director make the decision.

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Kristina - the principal player here at our Indianapolis Sym. refused to let his son play in marching band while he was in h.s. He thought that it hurt more than helped a young players chops. I hate the way marching band has turned for contests. when I was in h.s. [back when the earth was just starting to cool] we marched for football games and a few parades. we were more focused on concert and jazz band. take care of yourself and listen to the fine players we have here.