What Do I Do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Aug 30, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009

I always love hearing the advice of everyone here, but personally, last year, marching band helped my playing, my projection got better, and my note clarity seemed to advance. Plus the exlirating feeling of a comp is like no other.

2. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    This is all great Kristina, but didn't you say that your tech last year was different? Why do you assume that as long you leave yourself at the mercy of the instructors that you will get better? Deal with the situation at hand. No one is denying that marching band can make you better in some aspects of playing and can be fun, but this situation is way beyond all of that.

3. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Hi Kristina,

I think you need to think of yourself and your future. If your lips have bled and you were forced to continue abusing them then you already have suffered damage to the soft tissues, hopefully only minor, but there may be scarring that you cannot yet detect.

Any further tearing of your lips may cause deep scarring, your lips are the seat of your music, they are the engine that powers your playing.

You say you love music and you dont want to lose that, but how would you feel if you could not play again and had to give up music because of this abuse. He wont care, he will just replace you, and probably call you because you let him and your section down.

You have to protect your lips and your future playing, so explain the problem in all detail to your director and to your parents.

I believe that any manager has to be able to stand by his decisions and not expect them to be hidden, so he should not be ashamed or embarrassed by what he made you do, or does he understand that it was wrong of him?

If he doesnt think he was wrong he wont mind you explaining to your director what he did. If he thinks he was wrong then he had no business saying it and you have no business obeying him.

I have always stood by my actions and what I have made people do, because I always believed I did the right thing. I likewise expect him to stand by what he did and under scrutiny of others, if he cannot then he is a lying unscrupulous bully with no morality, and he doesnt deserve your support or the position he holds.

Good luck Brian

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I think the fact that you call him a trumpet technician instead of a trumpet teacher or player says enough...

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    You guys all have very wise advice, ill definitely take it into mind, but personally he gets one more shot, next thursday rehearsal, people said last thursday (i missed, on vacation) he was just a good trumpet teacher and tech, not an @$$ like band camp. So im going to see, im not listening to his crap anymore, he did improve my playing quite a bit before my chops died out, and I think he does have good intentions, and goals for our section, but its as if he wants it to all happen overnight, which is IMPOSSIBLE with a trumpet, or any instrument for that matter. He seemed like he wanted to say he was sorry on friday, when he completely stopped annoying me, and actually told me to lay off, and relax, and not play as much. So despite what many of you want, im giving him another chance, kinda my morals. He can't legit force me, my mind is closed, ill take his playing tips and marching advice, they are actually quite good, especially his warm ups ( during sectionals when he warmed us, my chops felt amazing, and our tones were all nice, clean, round, and warm) but yet again I am guessing he either a) has good intentions and excellent knowledge but is getting used to the whole teaching thing or b)he had a bad week.........ill probably get people telling me to rat him out, but i will if he singles me out again, but for now, he gets one chance.

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Kristina, you show a level of maturity that I can only wonder at - well done.

Even though you have the 'ability' to address the issues by letting everything ride, turning the other cheek if you will, there is still an underlying abuse problem that will need to be fixed. Even if you feel unable to drive this situation so that the individual is dismissed, you still have a responsibility to yourself, your family, and current and future section members. Others may not be as mentally tough as you. This matter needs to be brought to the attention of the Band Director in a sane focussed FIRST HAND report, otherwise it is just rumour, you can't let someone else do it for you - that would be heresay.

You are in the best position to stop this happening to any of your friends. Lodging a complaint, in an off-the-record discussion with your BD if you must, is the important next step - you seem to have dealt with it to date, but there is this other step that I really think you should very strongly consider - talk to your BD regardless of the current situation. Keep it as an informal discussion if you like - but do it.

You might start by approaching your BD quietly and asking for a quiet word, perhaps show him all YOUR posts here - you may also choose to select SOME of our comments, but talk to the BD, allow him the privelage of protecting you, and all the future 'Kristinas', which is his responsibility under the law.

What you have experienced is, in my opinion, a failing of the band programme's duty of care to you - but they can't fix it if you don't tell them. You don't have to demand this blokes' sacking, you don't have to demand punishment, you don't have to allow yourself to be identified to him, but you do have to say something - even if it only means that he will not be used as a "coach" at the next Band Camp. Be brave, this is NOT telling tales, this is a serious matter that must be addressed, please consider the follow-through - if your BD is the person you say he is then just a quiet word to him will be enough. Do it - please.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    I will, he is a very understanding person, and treats us all like his kids, so ill probably talk with him when he seems free and its just me and him. The tech and I are starting to get along a lot better, and I think part of it may have been he wasn't having a good week and he didn't know how to spread his knowledge. You can tell by how hard he works, and perfects all of our drill, that he has good intentions, but can't figure out how to properly exercise them. He says he sees a lot of potential in the section, and mainly me, which may be why he pushes me, but I don't think he realized how HARD he pushed me. So I will make an effort to go talk to my band director. He will listen, and most likely talk with the tech. Also thank you for that post of yours, it kinda put it into a different perspective for me, something I always need.

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    UPDATE:
    Well tonight, our tech was at rehearsal. Good news, we now communicate properly, he doesn't push me at all, and definitely a HUGE improvement from last time. I haven't gotten a chance to talk to my director yet, but i think the guy realized what he was doing on his own, he pushes us, but in the proper way now, aka, basically encouraging us to play, and making us play to our full potential, that he knows we are all capable of. We got along quite well, and i think my choice to put band camp behind and just go with the idea he wasn't having a good week was the proper choice. He respects me now, and my limits, and therefore, i am respecting him. He is a lot more laid back now, and seems to be getting more comfortable and used to teaching our trumpet line. The guy won't push us past our limits, and only offers advice to play some of the hard lines, and we now get along VERY well. He figured out how i work, you give me respect and also keep me happy by cracking a joke occasionally, and not being insanely strict, and when people keep me happy, I work for them, and show the same respect they give me back.

Also i have to say, having my chops back full force, greatest feeling, being able to play all this high stuff with a full tone, and 100% accuracy, and high, but clean, volume, greatest feeling on earth!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Excellent - nice outcome - now tell him that you appreciate this way of working - so he knows that you know he has made an effort, and that you appreciate it. It will be to everyone's advantage.

10. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Your tech is wrong. You should never ever compensate for the lack of volume in other players, balance and blend. The judges want to hear a marching band, not just inviduals. Balance & blend = win. By sticking out I think you are letting your section down more than not covering for them, they need to get up to your level. You should never, EVER compensate for 4 trumpets, especially with braces, you will not be at your best. There should be no heroes in marching band, balance & blend. Tell your other players to grow a pair, open up, take a full breath, and project their sound up to the pressbox. Don't think loud, think projection.