What do I have?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Jul 7, 2010.

1. eee511@mchsi.com

[email protected] New Friend

Feb 5, 2010
    I've posted about my recent purchase of a Yamaha YHF231S Flugelhorn with a Yamaha 12F3e mouthpiece.

First question: Is this a decent horn or a starter/student? It seems to play well, but I get no range out of it!

Second question: I've stated that I was going to order a Rudy Muck 13C mpc (like I play on my trumpet), but for a Yamaha Flugelhorn. After reading some of the post on Masterwannabe (switching from trumpet to flugel to piccilo), I'm leary if I'm doing the right thing!

Third questin: I've located a cousenon flugelhorn (in excellent shape) for $1,275. is this a good deal or just average?

Thanks,

Ed :dontknow:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The 200 series Yamaha is the student line.

No range means no real chops. The flugel mouthpiece does not acoustically support the chops, so the strength to keep the M-bouchure pursed comes from the player alone. No strength, no range.

Trumpet mouthpieces do not belong on flugelhorns unless you are playing in a german military wind band.

Couesnon flugels range from heavenly to trash. It would have to be truly exceptional for that money.

3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Gateway Music sells Muck flugelhorn mouthpieces with rims that match the Muck trumpet mouthpieces. I'd be astounded if the flugel pieces had the same cup as the trumpet pieces. Call them and ask.

4. eee511@mchsi.com

[email protected] New Friend

Feb 5, 2010
    Rowuk,

You mentioned no chops no range. I have respectable range on my trumpet for an old guy! How do I improve range for the flugelhorn? And also, how do I practice breathing to improve?

Ed

5. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    I had a 231 for 20 years. It plays well enough and you'd have to spend a great deal more to get better. Low D plays very sharp so you really need to get a 3rd valve slide fitted if you intend playing it in company.
    Yamaha flugel mouthpiece tapers are slightly bigger than standard Bach (about 0.5mm from memory) so other mps will sit in the receiver but may not play correctly. I remember I couldn't get on with the standard mouthpiece either. It has a very narrow rim and I don't think Yamaha makes it any more. Try an 11F4 or 14F4.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ed,
    you can do a search on "Circle of Breath" for my take on better breathing.

Improving the range on the flugel means learning to stroke it instead of beating it. Most trumpeters play with conviction and that often means force. A flugel is like a lady that wants to be treated like one. Play the flugel more, play it softly, grab a hymnbook or fake book and start playing tunes - tons of tunes. As you get used to the instrument, everything gets easier. For the most part, the flugel is only useful up to C above the staff. The tone is not really centered enough to showcase anything much higher. For the jazz player, MAYBE the occasional excursion during a chorus would offer some variety, but the REALLY cool stuff is in that lower range.

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I've had 3 flugels,Getzen Eterna, Benge 5 and now own the Yamaha 231. of all the horns notice that I still own the Yamaha. If you are just an occasional flugel player the Yamaha can't be beat. It played the most in tune of the three and it also played more like a trumpet than the other two so it was easier to pick up for one or two numbers after not playing it for 6 months. I think the horizontal slides may have something to do with the ease of playing but what do I know, I'm just an old guy. Good little horn, there is nothing wrong with it.