What do I have

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JimSproat, Nov 8, 2010.

1. JimSproat

JimSproat New Friend

Nov 6, 2010
    I'm new to trumpets. I inherited this http://www.stat-sheet.com/trumpet1.jpg from my father-in-law. Can someone tell me what it is? It looks like a Picollo Trumpet but it only has three valves. The only marking is the word "Angels" on the bell.

2. Dragon98987

Dragon98987 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2010
    It looks like a pocket trumpet to me.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It looks like my pocket trumpet only silver-plated. Pretty sure that's what it is.

4. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Definitely a pocket trumpet.

FYI, there are a number of piccolo trumpets with only three valves.

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    It's a pocket trumpet but with some very interesting features. The third valve slide that is operated with the thumb is pretty cool. Also, the second valve slide comes out of the left side of the valve. Without being able to see the other side, it's hard to tell how the other slides are configured. Do you have any history on it at all? How old it is? Where it came from???

But the real question is, "How does it play?" As you are new to the trumpet, you may not be able yet to fully assess its playing characteristics but a well-made pocket trumpet can be a serious player. So, it may well be worth your time to play is some and see how you get along with it.

Thanks for sharing.

6. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ

That would make it an earlier model (pre-Amati water key) standard Jupiter pocket trumpet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For your viewing pleasure. :-)

[​IMG]

7. JimSproat

JimSproat New Friend

Nov 6, 2010
    Wow, thanks for all your help. I looked up Jupiter Pocket trumpets and found many pictures that look exactly like the one I have, except they all say "Jupiter" on the bell. Mine says "Angels". Is it still a Jupiter?

And to answer CombackKid's questions:
    Do you have any history on it at all?
    Nothing
    How old it is?
    I have no idea
    Where it came from???
    My father-in-law was a professional musician, but he played Banjo, Mandolin and Violin. When he died, we found dozens of those intruments but a couple of brass instruments that he was probably playing around with.

8. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    AMADO:lol:

9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    It's still a Jupiter, probably a "stencil" made for another retailer to sell under the Angels name.

10. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Ok so it's a pocket trumpet. Very cool looking but why does it exist? Was it used back in the 50's when Phone Booth concerts were all the rage?