What do long tones do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JD.music, Mar 12, 2015.

1. JD.music

JD.music New Friend

Jun 15, 2013
    Hey all,

I was just wondering, lip flexibilities help range, etudes help endurance, what is the end result of long tones?

2. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    My teachers have always told me that they are great for improving breath support.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    They are great for helping your range, breath control, endurance and tone quality. Range because you are training your embouchure muscles to stay where you want them, and so to go where you want them when playing up or down the register. Breath control because without that your long tone will not be smooth. Endurance because your body will get used to operating without having to draw a fresh breath quite so soon (consider what free divers have to do). Tone quality because as you listen to the sound you are producing for a minute or so at a time you'll just want to make it sound as good as you can. Long tones help you play softer without the tone turning to just blown air as your control improves.
    I'm sure there are other reasons why they're good -- but these are mine.

Also, practicing long tones means you can play the tunes which need .... long tones.

--bumblebee

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Vulgano Brother likes this.
  4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Breath control, focus, which in turn helps tone and chops control for volume, both soft and loud. All of that helps endurance because you don't have to work as hard to sound like you want.

I could stand to incorporate some more into my daily routine. When I was at my best, I was doing a lot of long tones.

5. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
  6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Both Bumblebee and trickg are spot on. The only thing I would add is that they teach us to work through boredom. Long tones are boring to play unless we really focus on our sound, how it can fill the room even at low volume, and also focus on our body use, letting muscle memory really learn where the notes lie. We can work on pressure issues, breathing techniques etc. with long tones.

7. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Anyone who regularly plays long tones will understand this:
    Long tones, done correctly, are great for rapidly exposing things you aren't doing correctly.

8. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I feel moving long tones are the key ingredient to my range and endurance as a trumpet player.. To me, practicing Group 3 of Clarke's Setting Up Drills is worth its weight in gold. Best, Lex

9. Michael T. Doublec

Michael T. Doublec Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2014
    I think long tones build up or improve just about everything except fast fingers.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Long tone force us to slow down - the single most important improvement for players. The human state learns by learning patterns. Thousands of controlled repetitions are required to improve. Longtones give us the space and time to work on breathing, chop use, stability of pitch and hundreds of other virtues!