What do long tones do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JD.music, Mar 12, 2015.

1. spirithorn

spirithorn New Friend

Mar 3, 2005
    North Carolina
    I totally agree. And Clarke himself effectively says as much in the notes to his "Technical Studies".

2. some_blue

some_blue Pianissimo User

Jan 21, 2004
    Ditto. And pitch centering...

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Do them consistently long enough, and you'll find out AND won't have to take our words for it!! ;-)

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What Rowuk, Bumblebee and trikg said. How does this achieve such a diversity of response? They really do the trick at getting blood flow to the muscles controling lip function. Good blood flow leads to good metabolic function diminishing the risk of metabolic acid formation and then anerobic metabolism that puts the lips under stress.

5. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    I recognized that exercise he plays in the introduction and later from the Clarke studies because I play them constantly. Gonna try the long tones for upper register work. Never really practiced long tones very much so will give it a go.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    ... and do it softly!

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    My first trumpet teacher many years after he taught me used to tell me that every time I ran into him (25 year period) before I started playing again.I would say, hey I'm thinking of starting to play again, what's the best way to get back.....? "Long tones.... " He always said that.

8. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    My trumpet teacher I had in college is one of the top classical soloists out there in the USA - He played 1st trumpet with the American Brass Quintet for many years - He used to tell me that there are many musical studies that you can play through as if they are one long tone - to have that mentality of keeping the airstream steady and everything 'flowing through'. Try taking the Arban's Characteristic studies and seeing how many you can do back to back in a half hour. This is a great chop builder and thinking of these studies with that long tone mentality can give you the proper foundation for the endurance needed to do something like that. This one works on so many aspects at once, endurance, sound, power, range (even though they don't go high, they develop that strength, coordination, and balance you need for the high register), technique, articulation.

To go the other way, in a sense, there is a trumpet player on the net who came up with a very nice exercise called the 19/30's. Just google Rusty Russell and '19/30 trumpet exercise' - If you want to work on pure long tones without taxing the chops but working more on air and the very tone you hear. Also great if you have embouchure issues I think because it is a relaxed approach and you are letting the air form the embouchure - could probably 'iron out' some embouchure difficulties if you have them.

If you are a jazzer, ballads are great for working on your actual tone along with your musicality - if you do a lot of classical, it's hard to beat all the different Concone studies for some nice, simpler long tone work. Rich Willey put out a book fairly recently of Concone transcribed in higher keys. The DSR Concones are great - there are two books I'm aware of..kind of a basic and advanced - but both aren't too technical and it's more focused on musicality and tone production.

Think of it all as ONE - LONG - TONE :-)