what do you call that bit between MP and receiver on old cornet (and do I need it)?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by malena, Jan 1, 2017.

1. malena

malena New Friend

Oct 27, 2015
    Another cornet newbie question from a former string player!

What do you call the adapter(?) thingy between the mouthpiece and leadpipe on an old cornet? I picked up a cheap old York for my kid to play (or for me to play with, although I don't play...) and this bit is pretty trashed although the rest of the cornet is decent. If the piece is just for playing in A, no problem. But do I need it for Bb? (I do have the HP and LP tuning slides so I'm good there.)

After I washed and lubed it and stuck the MP in without the thingy, the kid played me a scale that was beautifully in tune (with itself), put it down, said it was easier to play than the student horn, and walked off to play video games. I won't be turning my elementary school band student loose with this cornet anytime soon. Too pretty. :D But I want it functional!

Please...tell me what that thing is called!

Thanks!!

2. Strobe

Strobe New Friend

Jul 5, 2016
    Solon, Ohio
    Re: what do you call that bit between MP and receiver on old cornet (and do I need it

I've heard them called B Flat, etc. lead pipes (even though they fit into the main lead pipe). On Ebay uninformed sellers call them (along with extra tuning slides) "bits and pieces" . Sounds like a cool old horn. Have fun!

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    Greater London
    Re: what do you call that bit between MP and receiver on old cornet (and do I need it

Do you mean the receiver?

4. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN

If the York is a Monarch model, I call them a leadpipe shank. There is a short ~3 inches for Bb and a long ~6 inches for A. If your talking about the little one inch bit, it is used to help tune a little. Dependent on what the tuning pitch of the day when the horn was made. They have little purpose now. The two tuning slides were HP and LP. Yorks are very fun and nice horns. I have a few, to say the least.

Things to know are... They are set up for a 2" mouthpiece not the modern 2-1/2". So you might need to get a short shank modern or just deal with what you can find or came with the horn.

I find I have tune mine towards the concert C. (First valve D). The horns sometimes are a bit long on the first valve ( also depends if you have the HP and LP valve slides. I like the HP for that reason)

If you can find or have a York and sons couturier #10 MP, they are wonderful MP in my opinion.

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati

They are actually called tuning bits. Lots of old cornets used them for key change.

6. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN

Here is a picture

[​IMG]

Niner likes this.
  7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati

I figured the 1" bit to be for C but I don't know from experience or anything

8. Bflatman

Bflatman Mezzo Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England

I always call them crooks, they are necessary or the instrument wont play in tune, they use a different receiver size on the instrument end than the cornet receiver on the mouthpiece end if that makes sense.

I have no idea for sure if crooks from one cornet would fit another, but I imagine they wont, unless its the same model or manufacturer maybe.

I would approach a tech on this issue, he should be able to fabricate a replacement or repair the original.

9. malena

malena New Friend

Oct 27, 2015

Thanks all. I have a better clue of what I should be looking at. Unfortunately the case is too degraded to be able to tell what it came with originally so I don't know how many of these (if any) I'm missing. The bit is about 2 1/8" long with one end chewed up so I don't know if it was longer. The mouthpiece is an AL-TRU like Faulken shows and it does seem to fit into the instrument directly. Is it possible that it would work correctly like that?

I guess it's time for me to actually get a tuning gizmo thing and see what it's actually playing... :)

Thanks!

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie

I've always called the straight ones "bits" and the curled ones "crooks". They were removable to let you play the horn in different keys depending on which one you selected. Of course, for some keys you also needed extra slides to accomplish this. Most of the really short bits I've seen have been mouthpiece adapters.