What do you call these?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by connmaster, Jun 17, 2010.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Sofus would need to be careful with a duel. It would be my choice of weapons as I understand the rules of 'duelery' - I would choose to use my second and the weapon of choice would be - yep you guessed it BAGPIPES. The Scots consider them a weapon of war so it makes sense. On the other hand, I might choose to use my Bavura and as good as Sofus is with the trumpet, time would not be wasted as we would both get some practice. ;-) (Oh, I don't play the pipes, I just like 'em - and my younger brother plays pipes for the NSW Police Pipe Band).

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It may be legend, or it may be true: two pipers with only 7 remaining rounds of ammunition remaining, captured an entire German regiment (methinks only a remnant of such in after thought of military strategy ... but "fish stories" get bigger and bigger the more often told) by blowing their pipes as they ran in circles around their encampment. Naw, it was just that the pipers could run faster with their kilts a' flying than the German's could with their "pants down" (no offense, only a U.S. slang expression indicating only "being uprepared for the unexpected", think otherwise as you may).

I enjoy the performance of pipers, except for piobrachts (sp ???) when at a distance or when I can turn down the volume of a recording, but I'll exclude my hearing concerns when a piper plays Amazing Grace at a funeral service. Two pipers playing a duet of such accompanied by a pipe organ in a small chapel, with all instruments within 15 feet of me, did cause me discomfort for days afterward.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Want to challenge me to duel, I'll choose slingshots with mini-marshmallows as ammo. Great carnival concept for charity events. Industrial face shields provided. The marshmallow does imprint to affirm the "kill" or "casualty". Real M.D. determined such in one such event I particpated in. Don't eat the ammo! Ah shucks, just set up target images in shooting gallery. Cardbiard supports for targets can be obtained at craft and many office supply stores. Mostly I use other ammo for my Whamo I won't tell about.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    For those interested, try Googling "Red Hot Chilli Pipers" - it is worth it. :D