what do you do after long hard gigs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jazzman54, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I agree with everything Nick said.

I just got home from a long hard gig after and long hard OUTDOOR gig last night. P;laying lead in a big band.

His advice is right on. No lip balms here.

This is a GREAT bit advice!

Thanks Nick!

-cw-

2. Bugler

Bugler Banned

I was just reminded of a kid I played with a while back who thought he was really hot stuff. One time on a gig he says to me "Hey dude, can you play like, really loud?" I looked at him with a smirk and replied "If I have to". He's now a NYC cop. :lol:

3. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    When a long gig is over most of the guys want to get out of Dodge ASAP. I don't know about you guys, but in our band we take down our own set, and we all share in the work of getting the keyboard and percussion equipment out to the vans.

So my answer is:

1) Put the horn in a case after wiping them down.

2) Help take down the set and load the vans

3) Go home.

4) Go to sleep. (When I was young an adult beverage might have come between 3 and 4.)

5) Play the next day as I would normally play. If it hurts, which it shouldn't if I played correctly during the gig, then I'll lighten up and just do some easy flexibility exercises.

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    If I have overdone it a bit, a warm down might be in order. My version is ppp tonguing to get the embouchure back into focus and a little response happening at soft volume before I put it away. If I have really overdone it, I will ice my face. Also, alternating a few rounds with extreme heat (don't burn your lips) with a really warm washcloth for a minute then ice for a minute, warm cloth for a minute, ice again for a minute. Do this for several rounds, then put worries to rest and get some sleep. This method really gets blood flowing in the lips and just feels good.

In agreement with Nick, during playing, getting the mouthpiece off the chops as much as you can helps too. I have literally practiced with a metronome, 1, 2 (horn in lap), 3 horn up, 4 breath, 1 play. Getting comfortable with a quick set up can do wonders when needing tiny breaks. Also, find ways to use the music to keep you comfortable. If the rep is mostly in the upper tessatura, make sure to take advantage of the lows. If it is mostly legato, take advantage of the tonguing passages, etc. This way, the mind stays on the music and prevents the player from becoming too compressed physically.

5. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I have never warmed down in my life. I just had a seven hour gig last night, started with a wedding ceremony (Trumpet Voluntary, Pachelbell and all that) followed by 90 minutes in a duo with a guitarist during cocktails (with a guy I did a duo gig once a week 25 years ago, it was really fun) followed by 4 and a half hours of jazz and dance music. I felt great at the end, I was in one of those zones where I felt I could play forever. Then horn in the case, a Beck's from the bartender and a hefty check from my wonderful bandleader. And I don't like putting stuff on my lips, not even vaseline in the winter. I find worrying about chops creates more problems than anything else.

Michael McLaughlin

"God bears with the wicked, but not forever."
    Miguel de Cervantes

6. TWEAK

TWEAK New Friend

Jan 23, 2005
    i just play a low f# at pppppppppp for about a minute and then put the horn in the case, and i dont think about it again.

the low f# brings it all into focus. then i go home.

the end.