What do you do on bad days?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I usually go to my Bach 184L cornet with a deep mouthpiece and play Concone.

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I've never had much luck "playing through it". Do a good warmup and then set it aside for a while. Coming back to it is sometimes an improvement.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't have bad days where nothing works - unless I am really sick. If I have a gig, no sub and am sick, I do whatever is necessary to alleviate the symptoms for the time period required - nose drops, aspirin, cough syrup....................

If we practice intelligently, plan concerts intelligently and behave ourselves, everything remains listenable to the audience. If we do not have the discipline to consistently do what is necessary, then the best thing to do is to pick an easier instrument.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    What is causing those bad days? Think about the day before--was it a rough one in terms of playing, did you scald yourself on Pizza or what? No one can find a solution without knowing the source of the problem.

5. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Once again, I agree with Rowuk. I really don't have bad days, I have bad attitude days, bored with my main horn days, need new tunes, days, etc.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I agree. What do you mean "bad day". Can't play anything ( how bad is it), (waht can't you play) it's relative. What did you do the day before. What kind of daily practice routine do you have.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    <BR><BR>I agree. What do you mean "bad day". Can't play anything ( how bad is it), (waht can't you play) it's relative. What did you do the day before. What kind of daily practice routine do you have.

I can have days where my chops don't feel at there best but I don't have any problem playing.

8. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I spend more time on basics: warm-up, daily routine, fundamentals, and try to take advantage of the fact that "bad" days often magnify my weaknesses. I also play less than normal to facilitate recovery for the next day. Good luck. Thanks for your comments.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I think th OP means by bad day that there are days when his playing isn't up to par -not quite as good and accurate a most days. The choips just son't want to respond. For those of you who never had a bad day then reach around and pat yourself on the back and feel blessed. I occasionally have them -and as I said earlier, focusing on fundamentals with a good warm up and a then a break is my best way for getting on top of it. I've tried "playing through it" and while that may work for some, it doesn't for everyone. I was at a concert once with Buddy Rich's band -they had a bomb scare in the middle of the show (no, it wasn't Buddy :) ) and I was able to get on the bus with the band for about 30 minutes. The lead guy admitted to me he was having a bad day -chops just weren"t working for him, -so I know that it does happen to at least some players. And while I won't list it as bad day, the poor guy who was an excellent trumpet player who clammed the note at Kennedy's funeral probably looked back upon that as a bad playing day.

All that said, I imagine most pros do a good job of covering bad days. They may not feel completely on top of the game, but they also a good enough to keep the audience from noticing. And, if players don't have bad days, I know I hear them talk of "great days." You would think if you have one, you could have the other.

10. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I have bad days too. Mine come from lack of practice. If I didn't have a family and/or a job.....I could probably remedy that. ;-)