What do you do on bad days?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jan 2, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    the family and job are probably more important than the trumpet --- at least they should be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    If you notice my little winking icon, I was hoping to convey sarcasm. My apologies. :play:

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Absolutely agree. The pros here - by that I mean those making all or a good part of their living from playing -ought to be putting in many hours every day on the horn. Those of us who are juggling a non music career which may take 10-12 hours, family with children, church etc. may be lucky to get 20 minutes every other day to practice -unlike in the 60s and 70s when I played a minimum of 3-4 hours every day, no exceptions. My bad days are far more pronounced today than they were back then.

Still, the OP didn't ask why we have bad days (obviously related to practice) but what we do when we are having one.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OK - when you have a bad day on the trumpet -- then go hug the kids and kiss the wife -- tell each of them how much you love them ---- and then your day will be better. some endorphins from that positive reinforcement of the love of your family ---will elate your mood --- then go play a soft note or small riff on the trumpet -- just to show that stupid inanimate object that you are the master of the brass ----- then put it away and enjoy the family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    When we are having an off day on our trumpet, we are having an off day in our life.

Trumpet playing is a barometer of our mood state. Our swings of mood are more apparent to us in our trumpet playing than in a lot of other activities. So we can choose to cover it up, which is what performers do in order to remain "professional" in their playing; or we can look to see what it is that has so affected us to have a negative impact on our trumpet playing.

Did we just have an argument with our spouse? Or, worse still, did we bite our tongue instead of letting it out? Or did someone smash into our car? Or did the supermarket want to overcharge? Or ......?

Any of the above, or even just the thought of any of the above can be enough to send us into a bad trumpet day.

To turn it into a Good Trumpet Day we need only to turn our thoughts to others, and what we can do to make others’ lives better. Change our focus from Ego to Alter. Live in altruism.

I wrote above that we can choose to cover it up to maintain our professionalism. But is it professional to radiate to our audience what is causing us to have this bad trumpet day? Is it moral to do this? Of course not.

If we wholeheartedly choose an altruistic approach, then all of a sudden we will start to have a Good Trumpet Day!