What do YOU do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Principaltrumpet, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    Say your going to a gig, and you need many horns plus a large variety of mutes. Do you carry a large multiple horn bag or case and a seperate mute bag....or what?
    I just purchased a new Altieri 3 horn bag and as much as I love it I find it is impossible to fit all of my music and mutes into it.
    Just a thought....
    JR

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Yes.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I use the gig bag that I got for real cheap a couple of years ago and it fits all of the mutes i'd ever need, a stand, plus some space for like cleaning stuff or whatnot

4. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    I use an Protec IPAC triple and the clip on mute bag with it. It holds everything I need.

5. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I have a cheap little bag about the size of a laptop bag that I put mutes in. Music too, if necessary, but most of my cases will hold at least a folder of music. The bag is light and has a shoulder strap, so it's easy to carry along with a case or two. Gigs that require everything you own are always a bit of a hassle no matter how you pack, but they're usually pretty fun!

6. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Know what you mean.

Throw your mutes and music into one of those small backpacks. Even if you found a gig bag big enough it'd weigh a ton and stress the straps and fittings. Not a good thing to do to a gig bag, no matter how robust.

Regards,

Trevor

7. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    My normal case holds trp, flugelhorn, and piccolo (if i need to bring it). It is similar to a carry on luggage size on wheels, with a handle. I have separate bag for mutes, about the size of lunchbox.

If i am playing something on C or Eb trumpet, I would normally take a double case with my Bb or C, and carry the piccolo separate, in its small hard case.

I have a bunch of cases, and take the one that fits what I am doing that night.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I find that many trumpet players create their own problems. Seldom do we HAVE to run around with 5 trumpets and 10 mutes. I have been to several brass quintet concerts where a big collection was on display, but the performance would have benefited with a bit of "conservatism".

I have a couple of singles, a double(Monette), a triple(DIY) and quad case(Schilke) and a gig bag (Reunion Blues). I always try to travel with only one of them. Worst case is the horns in the case and the mutes in the gig bag. That way I still only have one case in my hands.

9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I use an inexpensive Gard triple gig bag which I have commented on in previous threads on the bag subject. Plenty of room for 2 horns, 3 mutes, Hamilton stand, music folder in side pocket and everything else in the zippered other side pocket. Not heavy , decent protection and has held up well. Before that, I used the hard case for the horn and carried everything else in a Lands End multi zippered bag I got at Goodwill. That worked well also.

10. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY