What do you guys for to work on Endurance?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mallik503, Jul 26, 2015.

1. mallik503

mallik503 New Friend

May 20, 2015
    Hey guys, So endurance is my main issue currently. What do you guys do to work on it?

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Long tones and playing as long as I can before tone starts degrading. Then resting for twice as long as I played and trying to play further.
    Also, I'm a powerlifter and strongman, so I do this kind of stuff to an incredibly self-destructive degree compared with "normal" people.

3. mallik503

mallik503 New Friend

May 20, 2015
    how long does this usually take you.
    I do something similar to this where i hold notes for a minute starting on third space C and go down to Eb.(ten minutes+ten notes) then rest and minute. I do this 6 times

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Endurance is measured by work over time. Real world work does not consist of playing long tones for an hour in a concert, so I have a couple of strategies for endurance.

First of all, as I understand it, endurance is best built by high numbers of repetitions performing low impact work. Lower register Clarke Studies work really well for me. After a few minutes the lips will "tingle" between exercises, which is a very good sign--blood is flowing. Then I'll tackle the stuff that is hardest for me endurance-wise, which happens to be multiple-tonguing intervals. After a while the machine gets sluggish, and that signals the time for rest (key here is stopping before the machine shuts down as exhaustion occurs). Time for more Clarke Studies to get the tingle back and get in a bunch more low impact repetitions.

As I see it, there are two kinds of endurance. One is the kind that lets you play a hard show and still have chops at the end, which I believe the routine above addresses. The other is the one that lets you play multiple verses of a hymn at a stretch or a Philip Glass piece. To improve that, grab a hymnbook, and play as many verses you can play of the tune of your choice. Mark how far you made it through along with the date with in pencil. Do the same the next day and the days after, and make your marks.

Oh, yeah: endurance training is placed after all the daily routine stuff. Excessive long tones are the equivalent to standing around in a gym just holding weights and not lifting them.

Be dynamic when seeking endurance, and be prepared to put in time.

bumblebee likes this.
  5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I like the Clarkes as well... tongued, slurred, and double tongues with rest in between each exercise. I always thought endurance suffered because as the chops weaken the player increases pressure and cuts off the blood circulation. So resting in between the sets actually increases the amount of quality practice, which increases endurance.
    I also think working on breathing ( ie exercise) helps as well.

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  7. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I'll do that once a week for about an hour and a half to two hours.
    As VB mentioned, this is training for the "hard show" endurance.
    I prefer the first three Clarke studies for the daily stuff.

You're training muscles here for multiple disciplines, look at it no differently than if I were training for a powerlifting competition vs. training for a strongman show. I'm not going to train atlas stones if i'm twelve weeks out from a PL meet and I'm not going do only barbell movements and ignore the implements if i'm twelve weeks out from a strongman show.

I know where my weaknesses are and I tailor my training for working on my strengths and bringing up the lagging traits. I don't view training trumpet playing any differently than training physical fitness. Everyone has different needs and every person has a particular way of approaching how to train for his playing.

I don't see any "one-size-fits-all" program being used for powerlifting, nor do i see it with trumpeting. Why do we have Clarke Studies, Velocity Studies, Arban's Method, Mendez Studies, et c.? They're all someone's particular take on certain aspects of trumpet training. No one is "better" than the other, they each have their places. It's about being able to objectively criticize one's own playing and knowing what points need strengthening and then knowing what you need to do to strengthen them.

8. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    As mentioned above, long tones, Clarke Studies-in addition, lyrical etudes played softly and evenly with attention to equal tone quality, articulation and volume up and down the full range of your playing. Same with Arbans :)

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Endurance is not a root problem, rather a symptom. I have the most endurance when I play a lot. I have a daily routine for maintenance.

The problem with treating a symptom is that the band aid covers up other issues.

Normal reason for endurance problems are sucky breathing and body use being compensated for by pressure. Without knowing what you are doing wrong (except blaming the wrong thing), a cure is tough to guess about.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    perhaps that one of the reason 3 sets of Clarkes seems to help... no one blows through that in 15 minutes .. just more concentrated face time. I do agree with you.