What do you guy's think of a Rimless Bell????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lovevixen555, Nov 22, 2008.

1. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    If I want a rimless bell I can get one so should I??? I am 35 and take good care of my stuff I do not march with my trumpet etc........ I am thinking that the only reason to have a rim is for durability and that it must hurt the sound quality and projection as compared to a continious flair? What do you think????If I go with a new bell should I go rimless???It does not cost anything extra. My musical prefference is Jazz but I also play some Christmas music and stuff like that with the Holiday's season comeing.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I play an Eclipse MS...Medium Solar Bell. It features a beadless rim bell. I have had it for over 2 years and there is not a nick in it.

I am told the horn really projects, much more than my Schilke b6 or my Lawler C7.

I am very happy with the horn

Felix at NYTC also has horns with a beadless rim. His copper horns are very nice and are great jazz horns.

Go for it.

[​IMG]

-cw-

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  3. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

Player feedback with a beadless, is supposed to be really good. They look cool too.

-

4. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    The Conn Vocabells (from the 1930's?) have rimless bells and lots of cool art deco decoration.

5. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Yeah, the Conn 40B vocabell is great horn, I know a lead player who played one of those occasionally.

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I have no intimate knowledge per the Eclipse rimless bell, but, I do know that the Conn 40B was widely advertised as having a rimless bell that was incrementally thicker as the bell flare progressed to the rim. This, supposedly, produced a more pure and projecting sound. Amazingly, Conn discontinued this bell design after only one model. Did they find a valid reason for doing so?

OLDLOU>>

7. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    I've never seen a rimless bell in real life, or heard one played, but it looks cool

8. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I had rimless bell models and IMO they were all as strong as a beaded bell. What you lose is a little security and slotting IMO. They make good weapons if the bassist is too loud.

9. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    What I was thinking time to sharpen the bell to defend basist that are over achievers or forget their place!!!LOL I can see it now Taylor will start offering a bell that has a stainless steel edge laminated into the brass so you can sharpen your "ax" to a razor edge and do in any other musician that step's out of line. THey can also solder a pair of brass knuckles in place of the pinky finger rest next tothe valve case!!!LOL I am sure that adding all that solid brass mass to the lead pipe would darken the tone and improve slotting!!!LOL ROFLMAO!!!!!XD

I know I am a bit cynical but after reading some of the marketing mubo jumbo like "SWE" technology and looking at trumpet's with 7 supports that look like stainless steel straw's JB Welded all of a trumpet "satlite" model I lost it. When did the contest to see who could build the ugliest trumpet for the highest price start??? I am seriously considering ordering a large lot of junk trumpet's off ebay just to teach myself how to make a trumpet and modify them!!! For $4000-$6000 a pop I can build some seriously ugly trumpet's with more brass then a bleach bottle blonde from the local trailer park!!!LOL

I was looking for a tired old trumpet on Ebay to play around with. So far some of the one's I keep getting decent deal's on are far too preety to go messing with!!LOL I am looking at a Getzen right now with a cracked tuning slide and low compression since I would not be doing any harm to it what ever I do. If I replace the tuning slide and lead pipe it is a repair. If I rebuild the valves with a home made copper and nickle platter in my back yard it is a repair. I could not bring myself to replace a perfectly good bell with a copper one etc..... if it was nicely engraced and still in perfect shape. I think that their is side of me that likes to see things unmolsted. Even though I hate Bach Strad's if one was in good shape and played beautifuly I could not bring myself to hack into it why fix what is not broken!!!

10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    It's your money! If you want a "rimless" bell then by all means buy a horn with one.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008