What do you guys think of the piece for a comeback player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BustedChops, Dec 22, 2011.

1. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    It's been darn near 15 years since playing...I've got terrible sight reading...terrible theory knowledge and now am starting to remember the fingerings of sharps and flats.

As a kid I played lots of video games...so it seems like these are good exercises...and much for fun than working with Arbans...I hope I can get good tone out of practicing this...

Death Mountain Sheet Music - Trumpet - YouTube

2. musikman

musikman New Friend

Dec 21, 2011
    Try simple etudes. They are great excersizes and are written in song like form. This is my opinion on what I would do if I just came back to the trumpet. Books that I have are the Wurm book, and Thirty Two Etudes. Hope it helps!

3. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    Get some books of easy trumpet solos that are familiar to your ear to get started. It doesn't matter if you have to play Jingle Bells over and over again. But you should sound better as you play each day. Running scales and the like are important but simply hearing yourself and getting better at tunes is a good way to improve. After all, you are not contending to jump to a major symphonic orchestra as firs chair.
    In some ways reading music is a mixed blessing. one of the most notorious men in history, Sid Hatfield, of the Hatfield-McCoy feud fame was a fiddle player as well as a keeper of musical art and history. He played in the hills for a living. He gave a speech about what he complained of as the looker uppers. It seems that the elderly hill folk all knew at least one hundred tunes by memory, every note, every pause and every word, but as people learned to read and to read music their ability to hear and recall faded away. For a returning player hearing your every note and paying attention to what you like and hate about each note and phrase is vital.
    Secondly if you have a buddy who also practices get into call and response. Have him play three or four notes and then play them back at him. Make it a little contest as to who can repeat the longer and more difficult calls.
    Now do those fun things to hold your interest and on certain days do run scales and arpeggios. That is ongoing and forever.

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Hey BustedChops, Try Bye Bye Black Bird ( start it on a B natural ) or My Funny Valentine ( start it on the D just below the staff ). You can do those pretty easily and they sound good and you know them. Make it enjoyable.

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Guy LaCour 100 Etudes.... two volumes of 50 each.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    fake books -- and by the way -- how long have you been on your comeback? What notes are you up to?, what songs have you been playing???, etc. have you found other musicians to play with?? ie. community band, church, small group??? sometimes they can help where others can't..

7. musikman

musikman New Friend

Dec 21, 2011
  8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  9. musikman

musikman New Friend

Dec 21, 2011
    Oh i thought you meant fake books as in not real, sorry for the misunderstanding Lol

10. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I took note of something Kingtrumpet said. Yes, I should know better! I've been playing 25+ years but can only play written music, so taking note of a remark by KT, I bought ''How to Play Jazz and Improvise'' by Jamey Abersold. It arrived yesterday and I can honestly say..............I don't understand a word of it! Aimed at beginners? Yeh right, beginners that have spent 5 years at music school!