What do you guys think of the piece for a comeback player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BustedChops, Dec 22, 2011.

1. St. Rugglin

St. Rugglin New Friend

Dec 9, 2011
    Low Pass Oregon
    BustedChops I'm a comeback player too after 20+ years. If you are like me and just playing for enjoyment find some tunes you like and know. My sight reading also sucks and I'm slow at figuring out rhythms etc. so I started with some Beatles songs, Danny Boy, Scarborough Fair and a number of easier pieces. I also transposed some songs down to keys I could play in until my upper range improved. I hope to one day play last seat 4th trumpet in a community band.

There is a ton of free music on the internet. Don't just look for trumpet music. I'm playing a nice version of Greensleeves written for lutes. Fingering charts, arpeggios, scales and the like can also be found, for free and they aren't as daunting as Arbans for the casual comeback player. IMHO:-)

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Try this book " I used to Play Trumpet" by larry Clark on Amazon.com. It's for adult players that are coming back to the trumpet

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Rapier, a jazz piece is usually a basic melody (theme) played on a chord progression (a chord played for so many bars, followed by another played on a number of bars as well, etc). The piano plays the chords, the bass plays notes that are tightly linked to the chords, drums keep time but also give clues as to where the progression is and do many more things. In order to improvise, you must depart from the theme but still play notes that fit with the chords.

Aebersold gives you a set of tools: some scales and scale fragments that you can play with to improvise, some recorded tracks with a main chord played for a number of measures, then another chord, then another. Repeatedly listening to these tracks allows you to develop an ear for the chords and trains you to count, so that you can anticipate the chord changes. The method even gives you "licks" (melodic segments) that you can learn and transpose in any key, to match the corresponding chords. You can use these (and make up your own) as the most basic vocabulary blocks that will eventually build your musical discourse.

How you start with the method is entirely your choice; you can work on a number of scales and licks that you'll transpose in the most common keys, make up your own licks, then try to play along with the tracks. Or you could just start with the tracks, carefully listening to chords first, then playing long notes from the chords, changing whenever appropriate; then you could just play rythmic patterns on these same notes, still sticking very close to fundamental, 3rd and 5th, before introducing more notes.

I'll admit, however, that a teacher's guidance is definitely a help, even with the volumes that are advertised for beginners.

In addition, I'm sure that it has already become obvious to you that a minimum fundamental knowledge of music theory is indispensable. Acquire it, there is no way around that. Intervals names and states, chord terminology as it relates to their structure, major, minor, modes, rythms, all these require some familiarity, unless you are one like Bix Bedeirbecke.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I'm sorry, I only speak English. ;-)

See, now I admit I haven't spent more than 20 minutes reading the book, so it may become clearer eventually, but I can, however, play all of the written stuff in the book without a problem. Been playing a long time and can pretty much manage most music placed on the stand, and have played solo features, with band accompaniment, standing out front.

BUT I have no idea about some of the things he talks about. I get given a piece of music, I look at the key signature, the time signature. Run my eye over it to check for accidentals, key changes, dynamic markings, repeats and codas etc., then I play it. I have no idea if it's a mixylodian, pentatonic or whatever. Never needed to know. I think I've discovered an enormous hole in my knowledge. But at my age, do I care enough to worry? Not sure yet. :dontknow:

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I can see that. On the other hand, it would be kinda like learning a new language; ample research shows there is nothing better to keep an aging brain going strong :-)

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    After studying at Interlochen Music Summer Camp under the tutelage of Raphael Mendez many years ago, I learned that shortcuts just do NOT work. Playing of scales, like found in the Arbans Manual and, religeously using the metronome at all times is the route to success with the trumpet. After you develope your chops and can sight read in the proper cadence with the metronome, a hymn book will give you a sense of melody that will be of great help in your developement.

OLDLOU>>