What do you like to play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adrianbyrne, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Adrianbyrne

Adrianbyrne Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2010
    Oakville, Ontario
    What is your favorite music or piece of music to play?

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I always play my version of "west side blues" minus the intro which nobody can play except Louis.....

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I like to play Summertime and La Virgin De La Macarena and Just A Closer Walk With Thee and The Lonely Bull and My Funny Valentine and Ave Maria. Too mention just a few that I love enough to know by heart. I love jazz, dixieland, classic,and old crooner's songs

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  4. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    I play mainly classical. If I want a break I go for jazz/contemporary. To be honest I would play any kind of piece. I just love music in that sort of way. Playing Arutunian gives me the same thrill as playing different pieces by Ray Charles.

When I was really young I used to be a massive fan of jazz/contemporary, and I used to hate classical because all the stuff there was too hard (speaking about technical work) and I wasn't up to that kind of standard just yet. It exhausted me too much, and it made my lips raw because I could not at that stage do octave+ lip slurs without really pressing my trumpet to my face.

Now that I can play pretty much all of the classical pieces I try if I do some work on them, I really enjoy classical music. To me, it just sounds brilliant. Not to say that jazz is in fact any less brilliant, in fact I get a real rush of enthusiasm and musical joy whenever I'm in a performance in a small jazz quartet/quintet, and I still feel real good when I'm playing in the big band. However, these two still do not compare to the feeling I get after I play a solo perfectly in the classical genre - even if this is just a small section of a piece - that's what really makes me proud of my years of trumpet playing.

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    John Harner's solo from "Send In the Clowns" off the Kenton `76 LP... and Joy Spring, Clifford Brown

6. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    I love to play Herbert L. Clarke's cornet solos in the back of his "Characteristic Studies" book.

7. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I'm a jazzer. I play classical as well in my colleges concert band, but I'm a born & bred jazz player.

I'm drawn to cool jazz/combo mostly. Players like Chet Baker, Miles Davis, Art Farmer, Roy Hargrove (flugel) and Claudio Roditi (flugel) influenced me and my playing a lot...

Kujo

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I play anything the community band puts in front of me. I wouldn't wan to listen to it myself, but I just love to play.

Tom

9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Misty is my favorite. Also, oddly enough, Christmas music is high on my list, especially out of doors in the extreem cold by the Salvation Army kettel. The more bitter the conditions, the better I seem to like it. Hymns and Rubank duets too. Best wishes.

10. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    I much prefer to play ballads, with singers is best
    Body & Soul, This is all I ask, Old Folks, You don't know what love is, Masquerade.
    Slow and plaintif so the horn can sing. I try match the mood of the singer. Many times with my very warm sounding Fluel