What do you look for in a band???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetguy27, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    KT, that is what music is all about ... for the enjoyment of the listener.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Menage a trois ... naughty boy.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't worry Ed, I already reported him to the authorities on this one.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Sorry for the brief reply yesterday Trumpet guy. I pretty much lead a group with modest but fun pieces. We have a two very good musicians, one flautist one clarinetist, who are pretty much a year into playing a Bari and a Euph, one experienced trumpet player making his comback, one nine year old learner and myself. We focus on playing three or four ways and focus on playing a lot of music then after a couple of weeks deciding which ones we like and then tightening them up. We also try to select one piece which is a worker (ie one that takes a while to get sorted at the moment we are doing battle with Nimrod we are all classically minded, and although we could make one or two Miller pieces sound okay we lost the experienced bass trombone and can't at the moment do them

We meet fortnightly due to rehearsal hall availability (we get a cheap deal with the Church) and have a lot of fun all get on well, there are no politics because we are small enough to be friends. In truth we would like to recruit someone a little more experienced for the low end of the band and perhaps someone who could cover the top lines as well.

Hope that helps

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think we need a separate part of the forum for Gmonady and Kingtrumpet. Every single thread gets the same treatment. I do not like cheap ketchup on Chateaubriand.

I think Chuck Willard needs to be listened to very closely. A very successful band and two lovely colleagues in the trumpet section that surely carry more than THEIR weight.
    [​IMG]

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Since I am strictly amateur, and do not foresee making a living from playing, I choose to play in Bands that allow me to play a variety of music - and are tolerant and supportive. I have left a couple of community bands but have stayed with a couple of Bands for the entire time as well.

What attracts me?
    Playing with good musicians that are better than me, so that I can stretch myself, and learn.
    Regular weekly rehearsals, with a couple of major gigs. Some social interaction with like minded people.

Concert Band: Rehearsals every Saturday, 9am to noon, the band has been going about 30 years, and has a good cross section of skill levels, with a few teachers scattered in the group. Great repertoire, has 3 Major gigs per year, and a monthly play-out at a Museum, So about 12 gigs per annum, and an Annual Music Camp - Total revenue about $20K per annum - Costs about $20K - so a really well established group. Members - 40 to 50 members,

The major gig is May/June called Broadway and Beyond - and usually about 30 pieces. The monthly play-outs are about 12 pieces, and are not rehearsed - these are straight sight reading, but really good fun.

Big Band - Rehearsals every Thursday evening - and about 4 gigs per year. A core group that allow players some freedom, but in truth a pretty established seating and group. I have come across some pro-players who have belonged to this group - so a somewhat special group, with the focus on 40's to 50's Big band. A fun time, and some very long term skilled players. Members about 20.

Have moved onto Trombone with them, as we have more trumpets than needed, and fewer troms at present. So 3rd Trom suits me to get back in the swing, but maybe back onto trumpet where needed.

Light Orchestra has about 3 to 4 gigs per annum - minimal rehearsals - great scores and lead by a great core team. Play by invitation, and I answered an advert in the paper very early on, so got a gernsey. When they do rehearse it will be about 3 weeks before a gig, and on Tuesday evenings. Mostly highly skilled pro level players, giving back to the community. Members about 60 members.

What turns me off -
    Having no gigs to do, or rehearse for. That is a bit of a waste of time. Playing for an audience is a requirement IMO.
    Politics - where snipping and bitterness is rife.
    Putting me on Lead trumpet - not for me.
    My goal is to be a good 2nd seat, but happy with any chair except 1st. Would like to get involved with a small combo next.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually I look forward to a band that schedules working rehearsals, productive rehearsals (which most of mine are). Not only does it server to tighten the band's performance, but it really serves as one of the most fruitful musical educational experiences I have ever experienced.

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree. Although in my original reply, I said I don't like to rehearse.

But for a big band, rehearsal is more important.

I play in a small combo, and in that context, I look at rehearsals as a negative.

Mike

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Maybe some day KT will wake up from his dream fantasy!

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and one chick for each arm --- Yes, I think Chuck is my role model