What do you look for in a band???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetguy27, Oct 10, 2014.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes --- but the crowds are NOT always big ---- if one is joining a band to be heard by large crowds, or is performing for the glory of the whole idea of applause --- then I submit that is only part of the equation ------ music should also be innovative, enjoyable to not only the crowd but the performers ---- I think every band should have original music also ------ a lot of these points were already brought up ---------------------------------- you know I wrote a composition for the community band, after consultation with 3 conductors, their idea was to have "music" that conformed to what EVERYONE EXPECTS --------------------- or more appropriately, a song that sounds like most other songs --------------------------------- perhaps that is ok in a community band ----------------------- but I would hope for smaller bands, the group would make ORIGINAL compositions ----- ((((actually the band that hosts GM as the trumpet player, has many original compositions))))
    in any case ---- I pulled my song from their playlist (kind of a mutual decision) -- I told them I would "REVISE" it to conform ---- the truth is --- I have NOT CHANGED IT AT ALL, and won't resubmit it ------- sad, but true ----- maybe, a hundred years from now, someone will say -- "wow, that KT, what a visionary, how come his composing wasn't well liked in the 21st century??"

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Well we had a gig today at Scienceworks (resident Band) - normally a packed place on a nice sunny Sunday.

Lucky to have 50 people in the audience, and a reduced Band of maybe 15. Bathurst Car race was on today, so the rev-heads were all glued to the TV.... our Bad!!

Anyway a good blow, and an enjoyable gig for the people that were there, One of those days where we played well, but did not have the kids in the audience that we usually have - only 1 kid conducting the Band for the Big Band Favourites - still a pretty good day.

Now back to Angels in the Architecture, and Starwars Trilogy - then next gig on Trom for 26th...

This is why I like playing.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    this is true --- I forgot that doubling on trombone makes band a lot more interesting ---- I usually play trombone for parades, the winter concerts/parades ---- and a substitute for another band for one summer concert ---- yeah, that helps make music more interesting ---- from the regular "bland" trumpet music we are forced to play --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    In a band I've never had what I was looking for because we are just human-beings, we are not machines. If you want to have fun, you can do everything you want but if there is no goal, nothing will happen.
    If you want to make money, the trumpet is not the best instrument because for the audience it's unfashionable and sounds like an hasbeen instrument (I'm not a trumpeter).
    Playing in a big band creates frustration because there are a lot of rehearsals and there is no place for improvisation or not enough, it depends, if you come from a classical context some interesting things can be found but not for a long time, some classical musicians (not all) who try to play jazz or commercial tend to be a little bit constipated.
    If it's in a classical context, it's another level, you do the job as good as you can.
    If you want to create, you need money and time (demo and rehearsals), and you have to get a decent job except if you come from a rich family that doesn't know exactly that a job is money.
    If you want to make money with music, just find one or two persons and play without any kind of rehearsal, "Sultans Of Swing" explains exactly what the audience thinks about jazz but with its ignorance you will be paid, kind of frustration again.
    So do the things and don't think, people who think too much never act.

Personally I play in a jazz quartet (compositions, the first year we played in festivals) but the guys turned professional and have to play in many stupid gigs in order to live, I've got a formal job so I don't have to play things I don't want and I found a very great piano player and we play whenever we can.

Another thing, if you want to make money, play several instruments, the only time I made a living only with music I was a bass player in a commercial/rock/blues context.

5. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    I can imagine what you are living, I've played for a year in an amateur Big Band, the director was fine, he did his job fine, good ear, good playing, good reading but the guy hasn't got any idea what a chord progression was and couldn't improvise.
    Some of the musicians were wise or too wise, they came from classical brass band, the pianist was lost in her chords and her parts, some retired brass players were there too, a guitar player who played rock and roll, some saxophonists who came from harmony bands, another one who played professionally in a rock band, a drummer who was fed up, a bassist who used to play country and blues, a bassoon player who played the saxophone (great musician), and me trying to play short solos on a static rhythm section.
    Some good musicians came sometimes but never came again because they noticed there was nothing to do.
    Two years after its creation, the director stayed alone with his project, everyone left the band because everything was wrong.

6. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    "If you want to make money, the trumpet is not the best instrument because for the audience it's unfashionable and sounds like an hasbeen instrument "

Maybe when you play it.....

Kind of hard to make comments like that when we've all heard you play.

You're still learning, that's fine. But you should watch those broad comments when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Friendliness ... maybe not everyone but a few players I enjoy seeing and talking to.
    The music needs to have the potential to sound good and I can't feel like I am the best musician in the crowd ...( see the first part of this sentence).
    Gigs .. always give me something to look forward to.
    I don't play with any groups on a regular basis because I works nights which limits the opportunities a bit.
    A realistic vision of what the group is all about. I don't need a band leader equivalent of a little league coach who yells at the kids like he is going to the Superbowl.
    I need to feel like the group fills a musical need... a purpose more then just listen to me ... I would like the music to have some sort of emotional impact for the players and audience ... hey it could be just tapping their toes and a few minutes of enjoyment ... but something.

8. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    Hey guy, I make the effort to write English but you didn't understand what I wrote, nevermind.

Anyway, the question was what does a musician look for in a big band. If you want the people to stay, you don't need a trumpet or sax diva, the musician will never stay. What a big band needs is a solid rhythmic section (keyboard, bass, drums) that can read but not too much in order to make the things groove, the rehearsals are only good for brass and reeds sections because of the arrangements, if you need strong soloists in a gig, just take one or two guests who will enjoy the rhythmic section, it will sound like a quartet or quintet + arrangements but they won't often come to the rehearsal because it's annoying.
    Only pay the rhythmic sections and the guests and it will work.

For musicalmason, I never play the cornet in front of an audience, maybe like you, and I've never heard you play. Maybe you play gigs but maybe only for your pupils and their parents if you are a teacher, that's the best audience, they always enjoy because you're the master.

9. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    Musicalmason, learn to read, I also quote "Sultans Of Swing" if you haven't understood yet.

They don't give a damn about any trumpet playin' band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    Then the Sultans
    Yeah the Sultans they play creole, creole

I've got a big question Musicalmason, I would like to hear you play, where can I buy your CD's ?
    Or if I can't, can you tell me where is the high school or the church ? So I will have the opportunity to hear you.

Sorry, you're an instrument surgeon, repair. But learn to read, so do I.
    Have a nice day.

Why am I so rude sometimes ?

10. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I know how to read. The sentence you wrote stood alone, it was completely separate from your sultans of swing quote. What was I to do but take that one sentence at face value? Maybe your sentence structure is different. I don't know. The fact is, saying that audiences don't like the trumpet because its unfashionable and a has been instrument is just dumb. Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's not what you said. I have no interest in getting into a pissing contest with you nor will I be posting any recordings, I know who I am, and so do the people who matter (the ones hiring me). I know I'm not gods gift to the trumpet, I know there are thousands of people out there better than me. But I work...a lot. This proves two things:

1. If you are a good reader (of music), have a good sound, and are professional (attitude, showing up on time etc...) There is work to be had, at least here by me. I make a good chunk of my living just playing, weddings, rock bands, bars, polka bands etc..etc...You can make plenty of money playing the trumpet if you have the fundamentals down, and you don't need to be Artuo to pull it off.

2. Audiences do not think the trumpet is uncool and an old fashioned instrument. Why would all these people keep paying me to play it? If they wanted a synthesizer and a guitar player, they would get them, there are plenty around....

Sorry I offended you, but seriously? I read what you wrote, it says what it says...