What do you play when someone asks to hear you play????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by drac, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Leaannco

Leaannco New Friend

Mar 15, 2011
    I think either Hell or Living in America.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Australians,I am led to believe you've a similar method to U.S. copyright law by which royalty fees are collected ... if you are a legal "professional musician" and comply with your laws. If you don't pay to play you can expect unwelcome visitors who may take all you have in judgements against you. I don't hide behind an alias, but believe me computer forensics can identify you, but even without such, a supoena duces tecum can access this forums log in record. My effort here is just a WARNING to those of you who don't pay to play and/or record copyrighted songs. Leaannco, what purpose is served to derogate another country, especially so on your first post?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  3. Leaannco

Leaannco New Friend

Mar 15, 2011
    If I am asked to play, it is by a family member and is usually because they are just asking to be polite. They may be sorry when they get to hear. I only play for fun. These are 2 songs that I have parts of the melody in my memory. It is doubtful that the snippet of song in my living room in front of 2 or 3 people including a grandson would be cause for copyright infringement. I just love the 2 recorded songs - Hell, by Squirrel Nut Zippers and Living in America by James Brown and have the notes to parts memorized.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Now I apologize for misinterpreting. The songs you mention are not known to me. However, what you play for an audience of your family or close friends in your own home are excluded from U.S. copyright law whether from your memory or from sheet music on the stand in front of you. Likewise in an accredited educational or church / religious service setting.

Even my wife has been polite enough to tolerate my playing, but it is the repetitive practicing of different parts of songs that she abhors. Too, she'd rather listen to a CD of a completed song where she can turn the volume down, especially if I've played loud high parts on piccolo trumpet. However, she is consoled with the fact that I'm not playing violin, C piccolo, or a high pitched reed instrument which is why she will not accompany me to concerts. Still, she listened to our daughter learn to play the alto saxophone while in public school and who now also plays tenor and baritone sax along with clarinet and flute ... and lives 14 hours by car distant.

Yes, it is lots of fun just to play and not be concerned about earning money for doing so, not that I'm adverse to being paid. Presently, I just wish I could play again, which due to major health and dental issues I am unable to do.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I have often been disappointed when my customers go to try out an instrument after repair, or want to test play my trumpets. Disappointed because often they are unable to play anything.

That is one of the main reasons that I put my book together "Melodies for Playing". It is full of beautiful melodies from the classical repertoire - some teachers are using it with their students, and some great players are using it for transposition practice and for playing lyrically on high trumpets.

They are all great tunes that you could play when someone asks to hear you........

6. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Depends on how much they are are paying? :evil:

7. arlington

arlington Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2012
    Lancaster, OH
    Ain't misbehavin.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So when you ain't misbehavin... what are you playing... answere the freekin question!

I'd be playing "Midnight in Tuscany" written, arranged and the performed by yours truly, whether I were or weren't misbehavin... as one never knows do one.

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Samba De Uma Nota So (One Note Samba). Comes with its own built in warm-up routine.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    very cool --- I've played the first line from "Midnight in Tuscany" --- with my substitute band. Nobody really asked -- "what can you play" ----- they just looked at me and said, "so your our new trumpet player?" ------------- I immediately say --- "YEAH, WATCH THIS" -- and whip off a 2 1/2 octave chromatic (up and down) -- then say "well, that really proves nothing -- except that I am able to play a scale" --- then I whip out a line of "Midnight in Tuscany" -- and say --- "only the pros know that song" ---------------------- to which the 2 trumpet players listening said --- "I can't play a chromatic that fast or that high", and the other one says --- "that Midnight in Tuscany song, I've never heard that before now!!!!