What do you play when someone asks to hear you play????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by drac, Mar 29, 2004.

1. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    "Gospel John" intro or "la virgen de la macarena"

I have leared that these two do not impress the ladies... I guess I need to find a tune to help in that department.

-marc

2. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.

Hi Kevin,

Get some of Ray's CD's, check him out with American Brass Quintet, but hear him live someday! You forget he's playing the trumpet, you just listen to the music!! Great teacher, I've had a couple of lessons with him when he's out here with Summit Brass.

Take care!

P.S. Our band had another undefeated season out here in Scottsdale. Straight Superiors at every Festival (as if that really means anything), and of course interesting things going on at your old school!

3. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    "Alpine Symphony.......COLD, and absolutely no warm up, a warm up would constitute weakness :-)"

I was in a lesson with Mark Hughes and he did that, he followed it with the opening of the last movement of Mahler 7 and those were the first notes of the day after playing Mahler the night before.

all i can say was dang!

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    dang double post

5. KevininGeorgia

KevininGeorgia New Friend

Dec 15, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    Depends on the Horn & how I feel that day :

Picc : Mouret- Rondeau
    Bb : Capriccio Espagnol or American In Paris
    C : Mahler 5
    Flugel : Rodrigo - Concierto de Aranjuez."

Jazz - 'Round Midnight :p

Thanks,
    Kevin

6. BamaJPB

BamaJPB New Friend

Nov 16, 2003
    "I was in a lesson with Mark Hughes and he did that, he followed it with the opening of the last movement of Mahler 7 and those were the first notes of the day after playing Mahler the night before.

all i can say was dang!"

I was joking about playing Alpine symphony cold, but I've heard very good things about Mark's Playing.

Justin

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    dumb (very easy for me to do) 8)

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    All I know is that I walked out of there with a much different concept about what you should expect from yourself at the start of the day.

It was one of those moments where I went “oh that is possible? I never thought of that before!”

9. irishcornetboy

irishcornetboy Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2008
    Thriller. Always.

10. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    A series of arpegio's(sp) then somethhing catchy. I used to like to show off how I could work from top to bottom and back again especialy if the piece had large jumps. I grew up in a house that liked old 60's and 70's rock and roll and lots of blues and jazz. So I think my tastes are reflected in what I thought sounded good and impressive. Caprice is a good one to play almost everyone loves that it is really catchy and it draws people in like a magnet and flight of the bumble is always a good one sense even Rock and Roll guys know Flight of the Bumble Bee.

If you are playing to a musican something that show's off your technical skills is a good way to go. Sense a musician will respect things that the average joe does not.