What do you play when someone asks to hear you play????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by drac, Mar 29, 2004.

1. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    In the Mood :p
    level 2 version :)

2. habitatchad

habitatchad Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2008
    Clinton, TN
    Miles did a version on the Sketches of Spain album. :thumbsup:

3. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Thanks!! :-) I'll make a point of tracking down that recording.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Steve,
    There is a version of En Aranjuez Con Tu Amor (Joaquin Rodrigo), based on the theme from the 2nd movement of Concierto de Aranjuez, and played by Paul Hughes (Grimethorp Colliery Band) on solo flugelhorn. This track was used in the film "Brassed Off" by Mirimax Films. Published by Contemporary Media Music Productions Ltd. :play:

5. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Yes Miles played it on sketches of spain, but I prefer Chet Baker's version.

6. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Hmmm . . . . I'll need to track down that as one as well. Thanks.

Yet another recording to go hunting for. :-)

I love the 2nd Movement of Rodrigo's piece and I've been playing it for years on classical guitar, as well as, enjoying guitar versions by John Williams, Tommy Emmanuel, and even Chet Atkins. But, I'm very eager to hear a variety of trumpet interpretations.

Thanks, all!! :D

7. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    @SteveB

and remember as Miles said; the lighter you play it (concierto de aranjuez), the stronger it will get.

But Chet's version is simply stunning, it goes on and on for I think 20 minutes or so, with great solos from Chet but also pianist, double bass and sax

edit: also knowing the background of the piece is important when you play it. It is highly emotional piece and it evoke ultimate sadness when listened. Because rodrigo composed it in very difficult and emotional times of his life, there was war about to begun, and his wife just had miscarriage, and just before that they were on honeymon I beleive in this palace of Aranjuez and for a moment his life seemd perfect, but then it all fell apart.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  8. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Wow. Great background info on Rodrigo, especially as it pertains to the composition of his concierto. Thanks!!

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
  10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    when someone ask me to play, I'll say OK I need to playa few notes first. then I'll play a Chromatic scale from low F# to high C and back down real fast. then I'll play something very lyrical for them. what ever comes to mind. after that they know they've heard how musical a trumpet can be!