What do you play when someone asks to hear you play????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by drac, Mar 29, 2004.

1. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

I love when people ask me to "play something!" I have learned lots of Chris Botti's songs by ear, so a good warm up is some "Cinema Paradiso." Many people love Chuck Mangione's "Feels So Good," so I play some of that one often. After that, I usually do something with multiple tonguing like Concert Etude, and I love to finish melodically with Charlier No. 2 or some other melodic study... :play:

2. Caeden

Caeden New Friend

Nov 24, 2008
    LaFayette, Georgia
    I haven't been playing long so I play something easy but fun and entertaining like part of Second Suite in F or Birdland.

3. ADDER

ADDER Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    London UK
    For me it's 'Alfie' by Burt Bacharach or the theme tune from 'The Odd Couple' ..cool tune that.
    Adder

4. tonybaloney

tonybaloney Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2008
    Arlington
    At this time of year, its all Christmas stuff! any other time its Prince of Denmark's March or Suite of Symphonies: Rondo.

5. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

"I always play Mac Arthur Park. It is lively, most people know it, and I start on a B and finish on a double D."

Do you do that cold or with little kids in the room?

Cheers,

Brian

6. lushcot714

lushcot714 New Friend

Jul 16, 2008
    San Juan, PR
    Depends of who are the ones asking for it I'll play couple of standards:
    the Hummel concerto for trumpet, a little livelly, the Carnival of Venice, Fuge in Gminor of JS Bach or the Flight of the Bumble Bee (my personnal variation) and always try to end in the highest possible note (just to show off).

7. thebugleboy

thebugleboy Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2008
    Deep South
    Play something sweet, play something mellow.
    Play something I can sink my teeth in like Jello.
    Play something I can understand.
    Play me some Brickyard Blues!

8. brian.hess

brian.hess New Friend

Mar 13, 2011
    Port Orchard, Washington
    When I'm asked to play by my mother, who lives in Pennsylvania and i only get to see her once every few years as i'm in Washington State, I play the Trauermusik, Movement III of the Hindemith Trumpet Sonata. It is a truly wonderfully dark trumpet solo, that is probably the darkest solo I've ever played, and it brings out a passion in me that needs to "breathe" once in a while. LOL. Or, I play something Bach out of my William Vacchiano transcriptions, or a Sigmund Herring Baroque trumpet duet.

Brian

9. brian.hess

brian.hess New Friend

Mar 13, 2011
    Port Orchard, Washington
    Second Suite in F. . . . easy? lol Perhaps, but I only played the trumpet parts in it a couple of times. i usually play French Horn or Baritone (Mirraphone) on the brass band arrangement. Song of the Blacksmith is my favorite, then i would hae to say Dance of the Dargasons (??spelling??)

Brian

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    "Suicide is Painless" - yes I know, I'm a simple soul.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011