What do you play when someone asks to hear you play????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by drac, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Josh

Josh New Friend

Sep 28, 2009
    Sonora, CA
    How can Virgen possibly not impress the ladies? If you can play that well, they should be impressed.

I usually just play some cool-sounding thing that I know. More recently, that's been Wynton's Angel Eyes.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm always up for the Notre Dame fight song. If they don't like that, I play the "Circus song". If I'm feeling somber, I improv in Bb minor.:D

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ever since I learned it in high school some 60 years ago, I'd play ... if I presently could ... a song that perhaps as many as 50% of the current U.S. population have heard whether they knew what the song title was or not, but a challenge for any trumpeter or other brass musician to play well ... the song is Entry of the Gladiators by Julius Fucik, as is in the Public Domain and originally titled Grand Marche Chromatique. Yep, it is the clown entry song at the "Greatest Show on Earth", the Ringling Brothers - Barnum & Bailey Circus.

Whenever (and if) I regain the capability of playing it again, I'll know I can again play anything.

4. I usually play condensed 1 or 2 minute versions of the following

1) Trumpeters Lullaby
    2) It Ain't Neccesarily So + jazz improve
    3) The Magic Trumpet

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks Ed, I didn't know the name!:thumbsup:

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I'm from the old school so either something from Leroy Anderson (Blue Tango, Bugler's Holiday, Trumpeter's Lullaby) or a ballad from the 50's (Cherry Pink and Apple Blossoms White). I haven't memorized anything lately.

7. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Most of the time I just play some blues. Or I'll do something lyrical...Amazing Grace, Be Thou My Vision...that kinda stuff!

Kujo

8. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Nothing. They're usually asking me to stop:shock:!

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While we all play copyrighted music, if we play it in public we are required to have a copyright license to do so whether such is for your profit or not. I should not like to hear of anyone on this forum being arrested and charged with copyright infringement as subsequently may be subject to include both criminal and civil penalties.

Our church organist was only recently asked to play the Wedding March from The Sound of Music by Richard Rogers and Oscar Hammerstein II for her June wedding. Wisely, she told the bride-to-be that she couldn't unless a copyright license was obtained, and the bride-to-be would be responsible for the expense of such. No problem, less than three days later the copyright license was granted to the bride-to-be for a fee of $75.00. Coincidentally, the bride-to-be's name is also Maria.

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I Can't Get Started
    Misty
    I've Grown Accustom to Her Face
    "My Mamma Done Told Me" (Whatever its name is)
    Tenderly