What do you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by YamaMan, Jan 31, 2009.

What style(s) do you play?

1. Classical

31 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Jazz

39 vote(s)
    60.9%
  3. Commercial

12 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Church

23 vote(s)
    35.9%
  5. School (marching, concert, etc.)

15 vote(s)
    23.4%
  6. Other (please post!)

20 vote(s)
    31.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello everyone. I've noticed that the people here play all sorts of different music, and I decided to make a poll to see how many people play all these different styles and genres. Sorry if it has been done before!

2. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Just church stuff right now. Contemporary service, so some it's a wire variety of styles really.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  3. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    Old school ska and early reggae. I hesitated between jazz and "other". And chose other. Ska started as a mix of mento, calypso, and jazz influences.

That's what I mainly play these days. Doesn't mean that's all I practice. :)

4. Blue Pacific

Blue Pacific New Friend

Feb 3, 2008
    San Francisco
    ...20+ years of '50s/'60s-based stuff rooted in Monk, Mingus, Shorter, McLean...

During the last 5 years have been doing studio "pop" work -- lots of overdubs and such; when it's time for a solo it's usually for 8 bars or for a fade. Quite different, I must say; in addition, those pop producers are concerend about e-v-e-r-y note -- it's been quite an adjustment doing take after take after take trying to deliver on somone's sonic ideal compared to capturing the moment in one take. Although it's "pop" it's definitely not commercial. In today's world, Burt Bacharach is considered underground music with no commercial potential relative to the mainstream dime-o-dozen rap-crack-crap musik cash cow that the industry heavyweights continuously pamper.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    We seem to be doing a lot of 60+ birthdays at the moment, so the music is often Big Band stuff, American Patrol, Green Door, Your Mama Don't Dance, Jazzmanian Devil, Louie Louie, and the like. Then there is the Concert Band, the Show Band, and Marching Band.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  6. tony h

tony h Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2008
    I'm only three years back after a twenty year gap , then I found out I was playing the wrong way using force so with a little help from Nick D's site I'm making strides , its classical mostly I play, I'm just starting to grasp the basics of jazz n blues its not easy.

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I checked Jazz , but solo very little, its all been playing lead in big bands the last 34yrs.

8. gwie

gwie New Friend

Jan 7, 2009
    I'm two months into serious study on trumpet. Had my first "performance" last Friday, playing the second part on Beethoven's Egmont Overture, while my associate conductor led the orchestra (this is what happens when students miss concerts...they get to see their poor teachers attempt to cover their parts :).

As a long-time violinist, I have a newfound appreciation for the brass section. :p It appears playing classical music involves lots of rests at times....

9. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    50's / 60's / 70's oldies rock. Plus, a lot of horn-rock band music (Chicago, BS&T, EW&F, etc.) in an eight-piece band.

10. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    When I'm at work, I play whatever the Navy needs me to play at that moment- anything from marches, wind ensemble, brass quintet, rock band or big band- I've definately played a variety over the last 12 yrs! I checked commercial in the poll because that's the best way to describe what I do. My focus and the majority of my training has been as a jazz soloist, though, and that' where I am the happiest. Right now I'm working on classical audition material- not my thing, but I'll get through it!