What do you play?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by YamaMan, Jan 31, 2009.

What style(s) do you play?

1. Classical

31 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Jazz

39 vote(s)
    60.9%
  3. Commercial

12 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. Church

23 vote(s)
    35.9%
  5. School (marching, concert, etc.)

15 vote(s)
    23.4%
  6. Other (please post!)

20 vote(s)
    31.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I play/study classically a lot, and also play a lot of jazz, both big-band and smaller combo work. I also wind up playing a bit of rock here and there for some gigs that involve that.
    I'm a student, so I'm always playing something new or different in addition to everything else I'm working on.

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I play anything I can.

Classical, big band lead, concert band, marching in parades, church processions, church concerts with the choir or solo in church, taps, I have been hired to play at a funeral. If I get paid I play. I never complain about the gig. I have done some rock band gigs but very little.

In the summer I never know what kind of outdoor concert will come up. German band or twenties stuff or anything.

3. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Praise and worship(church),jazz, big band, etc...........:play:

4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I play in church and in a community band. Just left a big band that I played in for over 27 years but was asked to join a small swing band where I split lead and 2nd. would like to get our quintet going again but it is very hard to get 5 adults to agree on a practice night/schedule.

5. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Commercial pop/rock/soul: trumpet
    Church: trumpet & flugel
    British style Brass Band: flugel

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Two community concert bands, evanglistic church solos, advanced brass ensemble for very large hymnsings in a mega church, Swing band as opener for one of the community bands, but, no other gigs with the swing band, sounding Taps at military funerals. I have been asked to join a local adult marching band, but because of my physical debilitation, I am incapable of marching. The board of that band is considering me to play only sit down engagements. Time will tell. I have many other offers, but restrict myself because of my age and health.

OLDLOU>>

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Symphony, chamber orchestra, wind band, jazz ensemble, Salsa band, mariachi, german Oom-Pah, big band, commercial, solo with organ/piano/orchestra.
    I will not march anymore. Too dangerous for my face!

8. roryhislop

roryhislop New Friend

Dec 19, 2008
    Ahh i forgot to put other as well, I play in a indie band.

9. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    There are quite a few here that I must admit I have never even heard of!

10. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    The main thing I play around 70% of the time is ska of all types (roots, two tone, third wave), which I labeled as other (although ska was largely based on jazz). But I do enjoy doing a bit of jazz such as dixieland and bigband and classical stuff like haydn.