What do you practice after an embouchure change?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by keigoh, Apr 23, 2013.

1. keigoh

keigoh Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2012
    Tokyo
    I recently did an embouchure change so that my mouthpiece is more higher in the lips and on the center. I played like this for a week, and now I can play low to middle range notes with better tone (F# below the staff to about C in the staff), but I can't quite play higher notes like I used to. What should I practice after changing my embouchure? I am first chair trumpet in my band class, by the way, so it would be harder to get used to my new embouchure.

2. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    Long tones. Focus on centering and stabilizing your notes, and opening your throat.

I know that this isn't a popular suggestion, but you might ask for a lower chair while you rework your embouchure - or even take time off of ensemble until the fall so that you can establish your new embouchure over the summer without the stresses of performance. (Or run-on sentences)

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What ever you were practicing before the embouchure change... but at 50-75% the duration, until you reach the point that you maintain endurance and control without strain.