What do you tell potential clients when they say "Too M

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DLoeffler, Mar 8, 2006.

1. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    What do you say? Thanks for calling.

Michael Mclaughlin

2. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    Great Story, Drew. And GOOD FOR THE ORGANIST!

The man that took the longest to pay me for a wedding is one of the richest men in the state . He owns the biggest mall in a rich area, and still took 6 months to pay me . What a jerk!

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    As a college student, the reason I am willing to take gigs for less pay than I think the gig is worth is because I need all the experience I can get performing. Honestly, if I get a good catered meal after the performance me and my band are happy.
    I think the rates for my band have been pretty good anyways when doing corporate gigs.

I also think that the gigs that I get aren't gigs that the pros i study with compete for anyways since they are gigs I have got through people i know who know people etc, or from people hearing us at past gigs.

4. Joe DiMonte

Joe DiMonte Mezzo Forte User

Apr 30, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    Re: What do you tell potential clients when they say "T

I actually experienced this last one many years ago when I lived in Washington DC. The church was all decorated up, downtown in Georgetown, and the brides maids were on the alter. The organist turns to me and says, "Don't play". I was rather shocked, but followed her instructions. After several tense minutes, the father of the bride came up to the organist and asked, "Is there a problem". The organist said, "Yes there is. You stiffed me and the the last two trumpet players on the last two daughters that got married here. You owe me and those trumpet players for those ceremonies and you still owe me and this trumpet player for this one." The father's eyes got very big and he quickly whipped out his checkbook and wrote several checks. I later asked the organist why she did that druing the ceremony. She informed me that she has been chasing that guy to get paid for over 4 years and he continually ignored her. At the time, I thought this was a rather drastic way to handle the situation. A couple weeks after the wedding, I then learned that this father of the bride didn't pay anyone and that the incident in the church was a big hit at the reception.

Sorry to ruin your story,but during my professional career as an accountant,I knew a few low-lifers who would have gone to the BANK the next business day and place a stop payment on said check.
    Prior to my recent retirement,I spend my last year working between Bermuda and Cayman Island examining the books and identifying those who advocate a strong defense but who choose not to finance the defense bill.

On the down side to your story,I knew musicians who were paid in advance and who never showed up for the gig.

5. Joe DiMonte

Joe DiMonte Mezzo Forte User

Apr 30, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    Re: What do you tell potential clients when they say "T

Message Duplicated !

6. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    So, not to hijack the thread, what is typically "half the bread" in a typical wedding? I'm a college student, and I make my living performing, teaching as well, but mostly performing, and I charge the same as my prof does, so just wondering what the typical pay is. Thanks!

7. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    This is a good way to get black balled. In the old days guys like you would get their butts kicked. I think you are a jerk for low balling and I would never hire or recomend you for a gig.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Interesting thread.

I have never really experienced this sort of thing. I have always been paid fairly for weddings and other special church services such as Christmas or Easter and these days, in the band I play in, the clients we work for don't blink an eye at our fee - on average between $3,500 and $6,000, depending on the situation. Paying the band, financially, is the least of their worries.

There are advantages to working in a top-tier entertainment band. :)

9. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Yikes! That's a bit harsh Billy, don't you think? I see your point, and totally agree, but let's go easy on Brekelefuw. You don't know him, so calling him a jerk is a bit personal.

Brekelefuw, I'm defending you since I don't know you. But I agree that what you're doing is wrong. If you are going to get bookings as a band, you should abide by union scale in your town. Call your AF of M local (it's still called the AF of M in Canada, right?), and get a price list. It'll tell you what you need to know.

No matter how desparate for gigs you are, you should charge scale. Show some respect for your profession!

10. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    I was going to reply to the original post, but didn't get a chance yet. Anyway:

I tell people who call what I charge, and if they balk I don't worry about it. Once or twice I've said, "well, I have a 10th grade student who wants some experience. Maybe he'd like to do it". The caller has never been amused! :lol:

Everyone else is right, though. Charge the going rate and don't undercut your colleagues. I will add that you should ALWAYS file a union contract. They are available on the AF of M's website. This isn't for the union's benefit, it's for yours. Think about this the next time you show up for a wedding and no one has a check for you!