what do you think about cat anderson method?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by croatoa, Mar 9, 2008.

1. croatoa

croatoa New Friend

Feb 12, 2008
    I've tried to use it but it's very hard!!!!

2. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    i think it probably worked for cat anderson and not many other people

3. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    You might want to go to my webpage. I was a student of Cat's for 8 years and have just re-written his method so it is more understandable and accessable to players desiring a better upper register.

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I got Cat's book thirty years ago but I found it unusable, sort of like Einstein's Relativity for the Layman. I'm not that curious about the teeth thing.

Michael McLaughlin

5. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I've heard he's methods were weird. I'd buy one of his books...but I'd only buy it to read it, not play it. Some people just have weird techiniques that only work for them.

6. shawverjm

shawverjm New Friend

Jun 12, 2009
    I got the book about 2 weeks ago and I have found it to be pretty sweet. I haven't even gotten past the first lesson and I have seen in increase in all aspects of my playing. My range was at a good High G now I can find all the slots up to double c. Now I can't get the notes any louder than a mf so they're still not performance quality but just the fact I can now find the pitches is exciting in my opinion.

In addition to range I noticed my intonation was more consistently in tune and a big full tone on my small Allen Vizzutti Yamaha mouthpiece.

I've tried out many different methods and this one is definitely helping me the most so far.

teeth closed thing, its weird at first which Geoff says happens, but it shows us how our body needs to be aligned in order to produce the g overtone which directly effects how our body needs to be aligned when playing with our normal embouchure.

Maybe if you give it a few weeks you'll get the hang of it.

With how much improvement I've seen in my playing just after 2 weeks, I believe I'll stick to this method and continue seeing lots of improvement

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, that sounds very strange. Obviously there's more detail, but playing with my teeth closed would seem to restrict my airflow a bit...

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't. It probably works for some people, but is too esoteric and too far away from the reality of my playing.

I like standard stuff. A well balanced diet of long tones, slurs, tunes and technical stuff with TUNES being the core of my playing and teaching!

9. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    Just to clear up a few myths and misconceptions about a couple of things, here...
    First and formost, Cat's method is a PRACTICE method to build range, and I try to make that very clear in my book. It is not intended as a way to play (i.e, teeth closed, etc.). Cat did not play that way, he practiced that way. I still recommend you do your regular technical, flexes, tunes, etc., but just incorporate this method into your routine. You will become a much stronger player with less fatigue.

As to not getting any air through exercises with the teeth touching, I have yet to meet anyone who's dental makeup is so perfect that they can't get air through the horn (you'd have to have rubber gaskets on each tooth). We are not dealing with a "clamped" jaw here, just a very gentle way to keep and retrain your jaw forward.

I have only had a handful of people who've bought this book who have had any problems, and usually their problems come from not reading the text first (which is essential) and just diving into the exercises. Most of the time, we get things cleared up in two emails.

I am happy to say that I have several pros (who are listed on my site), including the great Arturo Sandoval, who have started incorporating at least a part of this book into their daily routines. Try it before you knock it, please.

10. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    sdhinote,

Could you tell us why or shal we say the philosophy behind the teeth closed way of practising? I mean, why would that be more effective? Asking of interest not as critisism.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009