What do you think about Getzen horns?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Double_G, May 26, 2005.

1. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    I've only been on this forum for a couple of weeks, but more than once I have seen someone dogging Getzen horns. I play a Getzen intermediate model horn and I love it. It really is a good quality horn, but I don't see why everybody dislikes them so much. It doesn't make sense. I personally don't like my friends Old Recording and when I played Van's old Bach I didn't relaly like it either. I have yet to find a horn for me that is this easy to control.

I just want to some input from the oppositions side. Plus, my horn was a Sam Ash special (I know not the wisest thing I could have done buying a horn from Sam Ash). 770 SG Gold Series, Getzen. It's an intermediate, but I still really love playing it. So, just hit me up with your point of view and if you dealt with the horn before tell me some ways I could improve it. I'm not saying the horn is Stage 1 after all. But, still overall good weapon of choice.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Maybe you and I aren't reading the same threads because I haven't noticed that Getzens are regarded much differently than any other make of trumpet that isn't made by a custom builder. (Monett, Eclipse, Wild Thing, or even Schilkes to a certain degree, just to name a few.) In fact, the Getzen Severinsens seem to be regarded pretty well, and it is hard to take anything away from the Edwards line of horns which are also made by Getzen.

If you really want to see horns that wind up getting dinged in various threads by various posters, you should see some of the things that have been written about Bach Strads! :-o

In my opinion, Getzens are decent trumpets although I think they went though a phase in the late 80s and early 90s where I didn't particularly care for some of what they were making. I was once issued a 4 valve Getzen flugelhorn that really wasn't that hot, (early 90s) but at one other point, I was playing on a 3 valved Eterna that was made in either the late 70s or early 80s that was a pretty nice playing flugel, and when someone came on asking about where to get a decent flugel on a budget, I suggested looking into a used Getzen among other things.

With horns, there are always going to be those who have contrary opinions about certain brands. The real question is do YOU like your Getzen? If you do and it works for you, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

3. murph66

murph66 New Friend

May 16, 2005
    I agree. I've played Eterna Severinsens for several years , up until I got my Lawler Model T. I always thought of it as a great horn and really enjoyed playing it. I sold one when I retired from the Military, and when I started a comeback, I found another one on Ebay. All horns are going to have someone that doesn't like them, and many seem to like to vent their opinions on this or other forums. I cant recall my ever knocking a horn, and just ignore others opinion as almost any decent horn will work for someone.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    To further expound upon something that Murph said, I have seen instances where one person will put a mouthpiece into a trumpet and absolutely love it, and then someone else will take the same trumpet, pop their mouthpiece into it, and absolutely hate it.

I think that there has to be a matchup of three factors:

1. Trumpet
    2. Mouthpiece
    3. Player

When those things all match each other, if the quality is decent, then the name stamped on the bell doesn't make that big of a difference.

5. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    It's not just people on this forum. I've heard it from quite a few people that they think Getzen is the opitamy of suck. I appreciate the comments though thanks.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Well, they can think what they want, but I seem to recall hearing a story once about Doc Severinsen. As the story goes, he made a statement that he didn't play Getzen because they were paying him to play Getzen, but that if someone would make a trumpet that he liked better, then he would be more than happy to play it. This is Doc Severninsen we are talking about here, not some random dude that happens to play trumpet.

I've also heard that during the time Doc was playing on Getzens that he didn't get his horns from the custom shop either. He would just grab one that came off of the line and go.

Can anyone confirm, deny or shed any light on the stories that I have just referenced?

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Not to be argumentative but rather helpful: I'd make a suggestion that you go over to Trumpetherald.com and repeat that comment in the "Horns" forum. I think that Brett Getzen would be fairly quick (as would many others) to suggest otherwise! You would be wise to check out all of Brett's posts before doing any posting, however. You might find something that suggests there have been some serious changes in the Getzen company over the last few decades.

If you go to the Getzen website you'll also be able to read the history of the company which may answer some of your questions. Just a gentle suggestion so please take it for what it's worth.

8. dixiedaveb

dixiedaveb New Friend

May 25, 2005
    southern california
    getzen

I'm a full time pro since 1967 and have never seen a Getzen on a pro bandstand, pit or studio. Gotta be a reason. I've played a few over the years and thought that the Doc models were OK, nothing special. I think the company is geared up for student and step-up models along with their valved bugle division.
    Just an opinion.

9. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    Thanks for the comments! And the website Toots!

10. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Why don't you post some links to posts dissing Getzen? I've never heard of such a thing. They make excellent horns, IMHO. I've played most of them and I'm seriously craving a Genisis and maybe one of the cornets. I'm also looking foward to trying the Mike Vax model when it comes out.

I don't read everything that's posted here and on TH, but I read most of what's in the Horns forum and I just don't see much negative about Getzen.

Dave