What do you think Allen was thinking during this performance?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I feel ashamed now. I'm sure it was a wonderful gig for Allen.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    So, just to recap... it's okay for these kids to play out of tune and not in time because they are really overloaded with school work..in a system that is much more demanding then when I was in school? .... and Allen understands this and enjoys just playing the clinics.
    and
    This thread is insulting and appalling because I am making value judgements on these poor kids?

got it

3. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Coolerdave, that was stated better than I was thinking.

Mr. Vizzutti is by far one of the coolest players out there in all respects.
    I was fortunate to work with a world-renowned trumpet player that when he was not on the road with the band he played in, he did just this. You all know him, but no names out of respect. His thoughts about this stuff is that basically you are a gun for hire, and you have to find the time and place to work on your game just like all of us do, but it’s harder because your on the road and when the call comes you have to be ready. You may get a call to do a gig where all your hired for is to come in to a band and play double C’s all night, or sit in a big band and just play the high stuff, or clinic an oout of tune Jr. high school band and solo on “Over the rainbow”. Not always fun or rewarding when it comes to using your talents. But then there are the good gigs in the big halls, the killer bands and songs. So you take the good with the not so good, and unfortunately ANY of it can get put on Youtube….. Mr. Vizzutti must love working with kids and enjoys having those one or two young kids “Get it” because he was there, and that is a huge rewarding feeling…..

My thoughts are that he was thinking, I love working with kids, I love working with kids I really really
    do love working with kids…..I need a beer…..

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I didn't say anything about being overloaded with school work or a system that's more demanding then when you were in school.

My point is that you have no idea what's going on with that program or with those kids outside of one poor performance on a YouTube clip, yet you took the time to highlight it on an internet forum for other people to giggle at? Then you invite everyone to speculate what Vizzutti was thinking during the performance?

How could you not see this thread as negative and insulting?

Posting something to point and laugh at when you don't have a real context of why the participants are performing (or not) at a certain level is poor form.

coolerdave likes this.
  5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Sounds like excuses to me. Practice or join some other club. Band is supposed to be fun. It is not fun unless you put on a quality performance. That takes WORK.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I assure you I am not laughing at these kids ...
    The biggest problem with the internet is you don't know the tone of something that was phrased. You can take the sentence "What are you doing" alot of ways.
    I really am trying not to get into an argument ...
    I will never fault or laugh at a kid giving it his best... or a band director giving it his best.
    What I am saying is that I honestly believe this is indicative of what is ocurring in our schools systems.
    My humor is the contrast of one of the greatest trumpet players on the planet performing with what you obviously heard as a poor performance.
    I love teaching and have a few students who I am giving lessons to for free because they are not getting it at school. So I saw this on youtube... I see it in my town... and I just want to a scream
    It's really sad ... and if I don't laugh I will cry.
    that being said... I think I need a beer too.
    Kid's will rise up to the expectations placed before them.

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Really now. Not fun unless it is a quality performance? What rubbish.
    Tell that to beginning players. (And their parents).
    True, that is not a good band, but I would be willing to bet those kids were truly enjoying their performance with one of the greatest trumpeter on this planet and will never forget that experience. Isn't that part of what a kid's musical life should be?
    I applaud those kids, no matter what their talent levels are, for being in a band and being on stage giving whatever they had to give. I tip my hat to Mr. Vizzutti for
    being out there performing with players of all ability, from professional orchestras and bands to groups of all ages that are not remotely professional ensembles - much like Mendez and other great players have done over the many years.
    Rich T.

coolerdave likes this.
  8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    OK, I'll bite.

How do we know it's a high school band?
    Do we know the band gets any school support and has daily rehearsals?
    Vizutti is a consummate professional. My money is that his mind is on presenting a first class performance and that he is not phoning it in.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The High School band comment is on the Youtube desription..
    I could never ever picture Mr Vizutti phoning in...ever
    and no I do not know .... but the band director in my town gets paid.
    One of my students asked for help and direction for an audition coming up in a few months and has recieved NOTHING
    This is a very sore subject with me.. if I didn't happen into meeting this kid in the last week ...well you get the drift
    oh.. so I wonder if Allen is thinking what is happening in our school systems.... and I can't imagine trying to play with the pitch dog fight occuring in the band ... seriously that can't be easy. His ears and hearing have got to be sensitive ... don't you think that would be distracting? I am not kidding here...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  10. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    At 2:30 in, Mr. V. makes an adjustment to his tuning slide - he pulls it out a bit.
    Watch his eyes as he performs. He is making contact with the audience. Other youtube videos of him show very similar mannerisms when playing.
    Regarding him being distracted, at the level he and other seasoned professionals play, distractions rarely come into effect. I know from my own experiences being a soloist, I hear what is going on behind me only in the context of where we are and how we are together in performance. When (if) I hear something wrong in the accompaniment, I don't let it interfere with my concentration. You get into a zone, but don't, and certainly shouldn't, "zone out".
    Over the years, I have played this exact arrangement at least 10 times with various vocalists and soloists. It is not a particularly difficult arrangement, but it is a nice one and they do stay together rather nicely.
    Rich T.