What do you think of pocket trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rick Chartrand, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Ok here goes an interesting question. I know that not to many people play pocket trumpets professionally and they are not really that popular. I think that they were initially invented as a way to practise your horn in a confined space. But aparently some people use them professionally. I think pocket trumpets are cool looking.

Thoughts?

2. rdnkbkr

rdnkbkr New Friend

Aug 25, 2005
    Oklahoma City
    Hi. I have one of those "made in India" pocket trumpet. I was quite suprised that it actually has a good tone. The only reason that I bought it is I think it's a cute novelty item. Scott

3. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    I have a purple pocket trumpet I got off ebay for 100 bucks...my neice just had to have a purple pocket trumpet...now it just sits in my closet...it did come in handy when I went to vist my folks down south...not alot of excess baggage, still able to pull my golf clubs and able to get some practice in while I was down there. I do like Don Cherry he is the only pro that comes to mind...that made the pocket trumpet known.

4. Beau Kemp

Beau Kemp New Friend

Oct 28, 2005
    Arkansas
    I'll hopefully get one for christmas. I've looked at different kinds and the professional ones are too expensive. However, all I want is something to practice with while on vacation. Going sailing in the Virgin Islands for a week in January and it will be 4 people on a 33' boat.
    I wanted to get the Jupiter, but lots of people gave the BandNow horn good reviews so I'm going to try that. It's on sale for $150 at WWBW.

5. Trumpet Hobo

Trumpet Hobo Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2005
    Minnesota
    All it needs is some valve oil.....................besides that it is in perfect shape :-) .

6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I've only played on a few, and they were novelty trumpets at best (not a brand I had ever seen before). I'm curious, are there pocket trumpets that are actually made and designed that they can play well in tune in all ranges and have a decent sound? I think it would be kewl to have one to pull out on a gig if it played well -- just for a novelty! People would definitely notice it! :cool:

Funny story -- I had a guy call me one time and ask me the name of the pocket trumpet I had played at a wedding :?: He said he really like the sound of it and he wanted to get one for his son. After talking to him for a couple minutes I realized he was talking about my Schilke Piccolo!

I did find out later that the guy is a doctor and bought his son a Schilke Piccolo -- he called me and asked what the 4th valve was for? :-o

7. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I played my piccolo the other day at a marching band pep rally thing for homecomming. Everyone thought it was a pocket trumpet...

But to keep the subject on topic and not to stray off to piccolos. I'm not really a fan of pocket trumpets, my friend has a Jupiter one and I just don't like the way it plays. The tone and intonation on it is ok, but it's not very free-blowing at all.

8. Beau Kemp

Beau Kemp New Friend

Oct 28, 2005
    Arkansas
    Bandman - yes there are some good pocket trumpets that play like a regular horn. Well at least they claim to, and you'll pay full-size prices for them too.
    For instance Kanstul makes one, the Kanstul CCT905

I think Monette makes one too, I bet that's nice.

This One looks nice too.

9. P.K.Bloo

P.K.Bloo New Friend

Oct 25, 2005
    Iowa
    One of the reasons (among several) I'm a comeback player is that I'm developing a tramp type clown character, P.K. Bloo, who obviously is a blues player. I thought a pocket trumpet would be a cool prop in my routine, but wondered the same thing about the tone quality, etc. I may still consider it. :cool:

10. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Your link didn't come out -- here it is........

www.wwbw.com/Benge-Colibri-Pocket-Trumpet-i32520.music